Rim Socket for stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Gillett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a stihl ms 460 with a 42" bar on my mill. I need a new rim socket and not sure what to buy.
I have a 3/8 050 7 tooth now but i see some with 8 tooth.. Would the 8 tooth be better or just stay
with the 7 ?

It's actually useful to have both.

The number of drive sprocket teeth can be thought of as complimentary to the 1) width of the cut, 2) depth of your rakers, and 3) amount of hook on the cutters, but unless you set up different chain loops for these the quickest thing you can change is the pin count of the drive sprocket.

If you set up all 2) and 3) for wider cuts with a 7 pin, if you then have to mill something smaller you can pick up a bit of cutting speed by chucking on an 8 pin or even a 9 pin. I've only ever used my 9 pin on my 880 mill once as when logs get that small I will swap to milling with my 441.

is there a rim socket for 050 and 063 size chain. I have a 24" bar for my 460, but i think the
rim socket is for 050. I have looked for that size socket but they only show 3/8 or 325. can
some show me a chart that has all the size of socket.

is there a rim socket for 050 and 063 size chain. I have a 24" bar for my 460, but i think the
rim socket is for 050. I have looked for that size socket but they only show 3/8 or 325. can
some show me a chart that has all the size of socket.

Sprockets only vary by pitch and spline size. They will run any gauge chain.

Latest posts

Back