ring install question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matlocc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a new piston up into the jug. My problem on this husky 340 is the jug extend down a long way and I cant get my fingers up in far enough. I tried the zip tie but the connection little block thing on the tie catches on the way in and it slides down too early?
any itips?

I am trying to get a new piston up into the jug. My problem on this husky 340 is the jug extend down a long way and I cant get my fingers up in far enough. I tried the zip tie but the connection little block thing on the tie catches on the way in and it slides down too early?
any itips?

From the 340 shop manual:
"Note!
Work is facilitated if the crankshaft complete with bearing and piston is released from the crankcase and the piston is pushed into the cylinder. The unit is then refitted in the crankcase. "

Ring compressors aren't much help with clamshells. Be sure your rings are the right size. I spent a whole morning trying to figure out why an MS250 wouldn't go back to together - turns out some replacement rings had been mislabeled and were too big and couldn't possibly fit.

Since clamshell cylinders have to extend further down to accommodate the bearings, they usually have a beveled entrance into the base of the cylinder. With lubrication on the rings, and the rings aligned with respect to pins, you can slowly and carefully work the piston into the cylinder. Fingers also come into play and never even begin to force anything. If the cylinder does not have a beveled base (e.g. Stihl pro type saws) a ring compressor is necessary. I have the Italian set of nesting red plastic rings with pinch handles.

The red plastic (nesting set) comes with 4 different compressors , a piston rod bridge, and a plastic piston stop. The set is worth whatever they are charging now. I think I paid less than $15.00 for mine on Amazon 8-10 years ago. In the mean time try cutting a 3/4 inch wide +/_ strip out of a soda or a beer can and wrap that around the piston to compress the rings. I have done this a couple times before I bought my red set. Good luck to ya you'll get it just keep trying !

Round and de burr the end on a carb screwdriver. Work the ring in holding light pressure on the piston.

Back