Ripping chain tools.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you who buy ripping chain in reels. Ive been considering buying a 50 ft. reel of baileys ripping chain and was wondering what else I would have to buy to assemble the two ends of the loops that I make.

You need a Breaker and a spinner. Both together cost somewhere around $80. They got one that looks like a pair of vicegrip pliers but I have no clue as to how well they work. They are a lot cheaper though. At any rate, I think you might be better off just going with premade loops. You will have to make a lot of loops to make it pay.
Rodney

Rodney Sinclair said:
I think you might be better off just going with premade loops. You will have to make a lot of loops to make it pay.
Rodney

True Rodney, it would take a little time to pay for itself unless you were a logger or had a big operation. However, once in a while you run into a large loop of the right kind of chain at a yard sale or on ebay, and if I had the tools, I could take advantage of it. We used to make our own loops when I worked as a logger, but we used a jig you stuck in a vice, set the chain on, and pounded out the link with a hammer and special pin drift. Then we had special connector links to put the loop together. That was 25 years ago though. I suppose they had the spinner etc back then, but we didn't have any in the tool truck.

Heres the funny part, I priced them at Baileys site and buying by the link is actually cheaper than buying the 25 ft. reel. I wonder if they have a small fee for assembly on the pre-made loops?

CaseyForrest said:
The nice thing about buying a reel of chain, is you can make up any length you need. Anytime you need it.
...another good point... it's Friday night, you've got some chainsaw work next day... you've been too busy all week with 20 other things that you didn't fix the 3 or 4 worn or rocked chains you've been collecting, and you didn't get to a dealer to pick up a loop, nor did you remember to order a few loops online a week before so you'd have them now (does this sound like anybody you know?...this is classic woodshop for sure). SO... IF you had a big loop of chain, you pull off the right number of links and pop one together and you're in business first light. So I guess you're kinda paying for convenience, as well as a little cheaper chain once you pay off your investment in the tools. Like a lot of situations, you gotta spend some money to eventually make or save money.

dustytools said:
Heres the funny part, I priced them at Baileys site and buying by the link is actually cheaper than buying the 25 ft. reel. I wonder if they have a small fee for assembly on the pre-made loops?

No, no extra price to have the loops made up.

woodshop said:
...another good point... it's Friday night, you've got some chainsaw work next day... you've been too busy all week with 20 other things that you didn't fix the 3 or 4 worn or rocked chains you've been collecting, and you didn't get to a dealer to pick up a loop, nor did you remember to order a few loops online a week before so you'd have them now (does this sound like anybody you know?...this is classic woodshop for sure). SO... IF you had a big loop of chain, you pull off the right number of links and pop one together and you're in business first light. So I guess you're kinda paying for convenience, as well as a little cheaper chain once you pay off your investment in the tools. Like a lot of situations, you gotta spend some money to eventually make or save money.
Yeah, this is me your talking about. So I keep the breaker & spinner for just this reason. I've got a board made up with nails on each end for the different loops I use so I don't have to count each link. Lot better this way.Seems I alway lose count and have to start over. Guess it's the walking and chewing gum at the same time thing.
Rodney

Here is the obstacle that Ive ran into. Now that I have my new saw for milling the bigger stuff, I want to put the old Stihl on my small log mill (just got it this week) problem is the bar on it is wore smack out And I would like to buy a bar and chain combo with the chain being a ripper but no one on the web sells them this way. At least I havent found any yet. I hate to buy a new bar and have to order a chain from Baileys not knowing how many links that the loop should consist of. Any ideas or suggestions? By the way you guys got the blame for my recent purchases, the wife thanks all of you.

Rodney Sinclair said:
You need a Breaker and a spinner. Both together cost somewhere around $80. They got one that looks like a pair of vicegrip pliers but I have no clue as to how well they work. They are a lot cheaper though. At any rate, I think you might be better off just going with premade loops. You will have to make a lot of loops to make it pay.
Rodney

I have a set of those vicegrip style breaker/ spinner combos. It works, but it's a PITA. I got it to go in my tool box so If I break a chain in the field I'm covered. For $40 I can't complain much.

dustytools said:
I hate to buy a new bar and have to order a chain from Baileys not knowing how many links that the loop should consist of. Any ideas or suggestions?
Dusty if you buy a Stihl bar from a dealer, and put it on a Stihl chainsaw, the number of links is stamped right on the bar, along with other information, like pitch of chain etc. Buy the bar, then order the right number of links ripping chain from Baileys and you're in business. If you buy an Oregon bar or any other, you can't be sure exactly how many links till you get it, or ask somebody with that particular combo bar/chain. Example, on my 395XP, my 36" Powermatch bar takes 119 links, but my 36" Husky bar takes only 115. The two bars are actually an inch different in length, even though both are 36" bars.

Well, I have the Granberg chain tool. I've tried it a couple of times, but end up using my 4" angle grinder, hammer, and punch on a 6" long piece of rail. I guess you would call it "the old fashioned way". Not recommended for beginners.

Mark

I just broke down and bought the breaker/spinner combo at Baileys... set me back $80 plus shipping. Planning on also ordering 100 ft reel of Oregon 72LG round chisel and 100 ft of Bailieys 33RP ripping chain. It then occurred to me that for that same money I could have bought a 73cc Husky 375XP or another Stihl MS351 pro saw... hmmmmmm...but... but... but then I'd "stihl" have to buy chain for it... what was that in that other thread about this AS forum thinning the wallet????

I went back to Baileys and bought a 24 inch bar for the saw. Under the bar description I was given the number of links needed for a .404 pitch chain and was able to order a ripping chain to go with the bar.

Latest posts

Back