"Ripping" large firewood blocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you just split them in half with a maul, couple wedges and a sledge hammer?

Once the round are split you should be able to lift them up on the splitter.

Or, you could call a few buddies and make it a drinking event..... have them help lift the large rounds onto the splitter and BINGO..... problem solved.

Why bother cutting them... get a real machine

I watch a guy split about 40 BIG narly fir rounds in about 10 minutes... He laid them all flat on the driveway, parked the track-hoe beside them, and pounded each with the bucket teeth. Damn, that was cool! but even better, it worked real well! He then picked up the pieces and loaded them into the dump truck. Wish I'd had video camera...

We've been doing it on dead Oak about that size with no problems, using the same chain we cut the blocks with. Didn't know it was a problem, we just did it.:D

Andyshine77 said:
I had about 20, 30" rounds of silvre maple last summer, I split one with a wedge and hammer, after that I riped them up with the 7900 much faster that way.

Later Andy.

exactly.........:D i can run a saw alot longer than i can swing an ax.

good point geofore...., I reckon I oughta carry splitting tools on the truck, cause I like to do the same thing....all but the gnarliest blocks will split when given a head start with a saw....and you'll have a lot less curly fries to clean up...and save on the ketchup too boot:dizzy:

WoodTick007 said:
Why don't you just split them in half with a maul, couple wedges and a sledge hammer?

Once the round are split you should be able to lift them up on the splitter.

Or, you could call a few buddies and make it a drinking event..... have them help lift the large rounds onto the splitter and BINGO..... problem solved.

Blasphemer! Why would you advise doing it that way when there is a chainsaw begging to be run?

Harry K

Back