Ripping some ash!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
New at pic postng, here goes,

View attachment 183061

View attachment 183062

What a day. Tore my biceps tendon tuesday, thursday flooded my saw pulling left handed, broke the starter cord, then finally got to start on this big ash tree!!!! 32" ( not counting the bark) at the base and 31.5 inches 9 ft. down!!!

Well, it is a start. Used a dolmar 7900 with a 36" pmp bar and woodland ripping chain. Ran out of time but I am going to set up a mini-mill to eventually get some sweet 6X6 posts.

Thanks to all for your help!!!!!

Last edited:
Very nice! That is a good sized ash, quite a bit bigger than the other trees growing around it. I wonder if was spared last time the area was logged, or if ash grows faster than other species, etc?

I like your guide board made from 2x4s on edge, I'm guessing you pick out straight ones from the local lumber yard, and can adjust the width to suit the log. Does it flex much? Easy to carry around and set up too I imagine.

Are you going to do the crotch?

Dan

I've got one just that big but 25 feet to the first branch, and another one that's 26" DBH, also about 25 feet to the first branch, and an 18" about the same.

Nice work, getting me excited. Have to start begging at construction sites to get some more stickers and get things put together. Nice thing is I finally have a site with tractors and access.

More pictures!!! Milling season is nearly upon me.

Great work Redoakneck. Good looking setup too. That Dolmar ought to handle that wood just fine.

Ash

Nice find!

I milled up a 43" wide Ash log a few weeks ago.

There was one small issue I over looked when first started on the log. Ash is flexible and will bend a lot. Despite having plenty of wedges the slabs still wanted to pinch the bar in the center of the log.
What happened was the ash would bend upwards were I had inserted the wedge creating a cupped surface.
I ripped up a punch of 3/8" and 1/2" thick X 48" long wedges that helped correct the problem.

Milling 6" X 6" should avoid this kind of problem.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. You might consider keeping a slab for a table top.

Wes

Redoakneck

Nice Ash log. I remember the one I did, it cut very nice and the grain was nice and straight. That is a pretty big log you have there. Take care of that arm, you only get two. Thanks for the pictures.

jerry-

I ripped some big ones in my day too. Had a lot of gas that day. For the Ash that is!
2274883360105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The guy on top is over 52" across

Last edited:
Thanks for all the praise!!!

Yes, I should get me slab for a table, and yes that drop off is about 20 feet down so dropping tools at that end ain't good.

Thanks for the tip on the wedging. Cutting wedges is easy and I have some from a lop-sided sycamore I can use.

The arm is mending. The lazy left arm is taking a beating making up for the rights' injury:msp_sad:

43 and 52 inchers!!! my mill only goes to about 30.5-31.

The dude that owns the property, his wife, wants it out of there, so I am going to try to cut it in 10' lengths and somehow (winch, tow rope and jeep) pull it up on a trailor. Then I can work on it at my house and do the crotch.

rippin ash crotch- do i need a permit???

Very nice! That is a good sized ash, quite a bit bigger than the other trees growing around it. I wonder if was spared last time the area was logged, or if ash grows faster than other species, etc?

I like your guide board made from 2x4s on edge, I'm guessing you pick out straight ones from the local lumber yard, and can adjust the width to suit the log. Does it flex much? Easy to carry around and set up too I imagine.

Are you going to do the crotch?

I get my 2x4 at hd and sort thru until I find one that is flat on the floor on both edges. If it is hugging the floor on both sides it is good. I do not like patonizing the box stores, but they always have flat floors.

Dan

crotch, not sure yet

Latest posts

Back