RM2 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a good deal on a bunch of RM2 chains. I've read here that no one likes them. I've always used RS chain before this. Does it cut slower than RM because of the bumpers? Do they act like rakers? If I grind the bumpers down on my bench grinder a bit, will the RM2 cut the same as the RM?

Thanks,

Jim

I got a bunch of rm2 off of ebay and I grind them down and run them. I think they work just as well I can't tell that much difference between the two except the money I have saved.

I have a loop of RM2 for a 20" bar. It was all the shop had on hand that day & I needed a new loop. I actually like it. It isnt quite as fast as my oregon round ground full chisel non-safety loop. Still fast enough. Between limbing, skidding, splitting, stacking, cutting speed doesnt seem to have much impact on getting the job done. It will literally hold an edge at least 5x longer than the oregon round ground full chisel. I think the semi-chisel is faster after you include the extra stops to sharpen a full chisel. Others will disagree though. On full bar cuts in really hard wood it doesnt seem to pull into the wood as well (probably the bumpers get in the way of chip clearence) so if you are using it on a big bar you might not be as happy with it. I have used it to make small bore cuts once or twice. It will do it, but you will need a non-safety chain if you need to do that often.

I recommend grinding or filing down the bumpers a little. Its supposed to be a safer chain and not as prone to kickback as RS.

If you grind down the bumpers, it will cut like ordinary RM in most conditions - which means it is a good chain for dirty wood.

How good they will work really depends on how far you grind the bumpers down.
The remaining part of the bumper will add some weight, which at least in theory will hamper accelleration.
Probably more important, it will hamper chip transport, which will be most apparent with long bars/big wood and when bore cutting.

I certainly would not have taken all the trouble involved to save a little money. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back