Rogue River Hotshots falling video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGqP9khYMw

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QGqP9khYMw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QGqP9khYMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'd like to take a break from falling timber and cut on some fires next season. I do hazard removals in the winter as well. I'm quite familiar with falling hazardous trees to say the least (not saying that I'm the best). I wish I could have had a camera with me this fall on my rounds through some hazard pieces, they were pretty tricky. I never have footage! :cry:

Nice footage! Would like to see more stuff on fire though!!! Great shots! I also wish I had a camera or two for some of the take-downs I have done! :clap:

Why buy an expensive tree jack when you can use your pulaski to lever a tree over (at about 9:00min in the vid). I'd hesitate to call some of those "danger trees" but when do fire crews get a chance to nail big timber....:cheers:

Why buy an expensive tree jack when you can use your pulaski to lever a tree over (at about 9:00min in the vid). I'd hesitate to call some of those "danger trees" but when do fire crews get a chance to nail big timber....:cheers:

Alot of those are probably prep work for burn-outs so they will be a hazard/ throw embers over fireline after they light it.

But fire crews would never sportfall. :greenchainsaw:

Sweet footage right there!

Must be pretty interesting to cut a tree like that last one where it's throwing flames from the notch.

Bar and chain are semi-expendable when cutting burning trees...

It's not good when you suck an ember into the air filter though.

A bar and chain is heat treated though... Get it near 400-500 degrees and you'll pull temper like a big dog.

You start seeing black and blue, and it's time for a new one.

that was sick!

in all honesty though. how does one go about getting on a hotshot crew?

that last still pic with the guy walking away from that burning stump was awesome.

awesome video, just wondering, why leave such a big stump, in one shot the guy was cutting over his head, looked to be alot of useable wood there.

They aren't cutting for volume. They are cutting so it doesn't fall on someone and kill them or throw embers over the fireline.

Or for practice it looks like in some of those.

Last edited:
A bar and chain is heat treated though... Get it near 400-500 degrees and you'll pull temper like a big dog.

You start seeing black and blue, and it's time for a new one.

We had a big ugly cedar that had a chimney all the way to the top - throwing sparks and **** all over the place. Had a MK III and lots of water so we thought we'd bore some vents in the bottom and put it out from the bottom up. Duhhhhhhh, we all found out how the draft on a wood stove works.:dizzy: ...anyways sproket tips peel open kinda like a taco when you heat them up sufficently.....

that was sick!

in all honesty though. how does one go about getting on a hotshot crew?

that last still pic with the guy walking away from that burning stump was awesome.

jacob can tell you more - or contact your nearest forest service office and see when the next pack test is

Back