Rolling Really Large Firewood Rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottnc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have a 40" red oak log bucked into 16" rounds. I need to roll the rounds (round in name only, their shape not so much) less than 10' on uneven ground. My cant hook is not sized for rounds this size. With a hammer I can sometimes get the hook to dig in but it offers poor leveage and usually either cuts a groove in the bark or peals it off. Is a peavy sized for larger diameter logs?

I have many larger trees to deal with often. I have about six Live Oak trees just under 60'' which has not proven to be much of a challenge. If the terrain is not incredibly steep I winch the splitter near and totally cut and split. If terrain is inaccessible then cut and quarter rounds to nearest vehicle. I have an assortment of wheel barrows that can easily move 300 to 400 lb sections preferably down hill and never up hill. I have a gas powered winch that has about a 6,000 lb pull single line and can pull in the 80,000 to 300,000 lbs if I have to but the set up for a multi line pull is not practical in most cases. A small 2,500 lb electric winch can be so helpful moving larger wood rounds under 10,000 or 12,000 lb log sections by either sliding or rolling. I have several trailers that have at least one part that has no side so using straight limbs as rollers a 6,000 log can easily be rolled side ways on a trailer or end ways with small electric winch. Thanks

This sounds time consuming,but I have done it. I have a Stihl Bt 45 gas drill and have drilled 1/2" holes through short rounds and used an "axle" like rebar or cold roll steel to move them around. Even come-a-long them up a ramp on to the truck with my axle.

This sounds time consuming,but I have done it. I have a Stihl Bt 45 gas drill and have drilled 1/2" holes through short rounds and used an "axle" like rebar or cold roll steel to move them around. Even come-a-long them up a ramp on to the truck with my axle.
Some thing you might want to try is a cart or dolly with lag bolts. To set up the wheels will work but I think the aid of a small electric winch is very practical. I already have a lawn mower engine powered generator which can charge batteries on site. Thanks

I do many large one like that. I go around the and knock out about 4" all the way around if there are no knots with my maul. Then do it again and again, before you know it it's all split. If there are knots it's a little harder so I also use wedges when I have to. I find it easier then trying to move the big rounds. I'm talking about oak, it's usually easy to split. It's about 99% of what I use.

Elevator Guy, that is just about exactly what I'm dealing with, a 115 to 120 year old red oak, solid to the core. Rocket Norton, think your peavy would work on a round from Elevator Guys log? I'm going to ask around to see if I can find one. River of Smoak, 69 last month.

The soil is soft but full of softball to basketball size rocks - you oughta see my chains :-( and has a bunch of surface roots. The log and rounds are in a swag less than ten feet from a steep slope that drops four or five feet to the road. I hope to park a trailer right up against the slope then use two electric pole cross-arms as runners. The top of the runners will be set into the ground at the top of the slope and have a 2X nailed to the underside to hold the trailer side. The way it's supposed to work is, the rounds will be flopped onto the cross-arms and slid into the trailer - and not bust through the bottom. I may take a mattock, axe and shovel and try to create a path that eliminates the swag.

Getting the splitter in would be an undertaking. Too far from home to use the tractor and winch to pull them to the road. Plus, there's traffic. Tried as much as I'm gonna to split by hand. Used an eight pound maul, twelve pound sledge and a steel slitting wedge, they were all I had for years but talk about ruining a good mood, the wood is too stringy fighting me all the way. Besides, even quartered the pieces were a PITA to handle. I did some noodling but suspecting a saw problem I quit. May go back to it if the above method doesn't pan out.

I used parts from a log carrier I could use because I couldn’t carry both sides at the same time…..help is scarce. So I did some mods and clamped it to a 6 1/2 foot piece of SS tubing I had on hand . I have rolled 40 inch easy, no cash out.

Attachments

• 66A06AB6-114C-4B0F-967E-220F99948065.jpeg
    66A06AB6-114C-4B0F-967E-220F99948065.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dave, I just finished inserting peavy genetics into my log cant. Replaced the hook with a piece of 1" water pipe and a smallblock Chevy fuel pump pushrod. Flattened and ground round one end of the pipe and drilled a hole to mount it on the cant handle. Drew a 20" radius on the bench top then mocked-up where the hook needed to be. Drilled an angled hole 15" from the mount hole. Sharped one end of the fuel pump pushrod, mocked-up again and welded it in place. Scrounged up another piece of pipe to use for a cheater to lengthen the handle.

Dave, I just finished inserting peavy genetics into my log cant. Replaced the hook with a piece of 1" water pipe and a smallblock Chevy fuel pump pushrod. Flattened and ground round one end of the pipe and drilled a hole to mount it on the cant handle. Drew a 20" radius on the bench top then mocked-up where the hook needed to be. Drilled an angled hole 15" from the mount hole. Sharped one end of the fuel pump pushrod, mocked-up again and welded it in place. Scrounged up another piece of pipe to use for a cheater to lengthen the handle.
I think we are going to need a picture of this gem after hearing how it works:) nice job!

Noodle and quarter.

Don't forget your wheelbarrow, dolly, whatever tool you have for modestly heavy chunks. Those quarter sections can still be very heavy.

There is also a lot to be said for just splitting those chunks in place. I've seen logs that I could just knock perfect splits off with just one crack of a splitting axe. At 3-5 seconds per chunk, those "wheels" of firewood get lighter real quick.
Of course, it all depends on how hard it is to split.

Don't forget your wheelbarrow, dolly, whatever tool you have for modestly heavy chunks. Those quarter sections can still be very heavy.

There is also a lot to be said for just splitting those chunks in place. I've seen logs that I could just knock perfect splits off with just one crack of a splitting axe. At 3-5 seconds per chunk, those "wheels" of firewood get lighter real quick.
Of course, it all depends on how hard it is to split.
I use an old sack barrow, saves the old back.
The gransfor bruks metal splitting wedges with the twist in them are great for real gnarly large rounds.

Latest posts

Back