Root Rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Green Ash apparently has some root rot. The tree (about 40 years old) is in fairly good health. Like all Green Ash, it is a high maintenance tree that needs pruning about every 2 years. It has some dead limbs but is in overall good condition. I had the forestry rep. come by and he told me the mushrooms coming up about 10 ft. from the tree in the grass were due to root rot, but he didn't mention if there was something to be done about it. He basically seemed like it was not a big deal. Is there somethint to be done about root rot?

10' away? What kind of shrooms? We could use a pic, but if there's no other sign within 10' I think the forester is too oriented toward removals. Next he'll tell you that lichens are fatal and you must clearcut NOW!

If it is root rot, which would be identified by sending samples of rotten roots to your local university extension office, there are chemical treatments, typically granular, that can be applied (Subdue Maxx comes to mind).
Chances are, that when you dig down to find the source of the mushrooms you'll find an old buried stick, stump, or other rotting wood.
By sending in a sample, you'll get positive ID and recommended treatment protocols. A good arborist can take care of collecting and sending samples for a modest fee. The university charges about $15 to $30 to test your sample. Check the link below.

http://www.plantpath.wisc.edu/pddc/pddcgraphics/index.htm

Latest posts

Back