Roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Haber

Reaction score
BACKGROUND: I have a 35 foot high 15 year old Popular tree located 45 feet from my septic tank drain field. The tree has roots near its base that are 12 inches in diameter and are half in the ground and half above the ground. I have been told that the root system is a surface seeking type. The pipes (tiles) in my drain field are buried 30 inches.
QUESTIONS: How far down do the roots of this type of tree grow and how far from the tree can they be expected to extend?

rooting depth

Poplars are generaly surface rooting plants but any tree will put down roots where ther is sufficient O and O2 to survive. If there is a plume of nutreint rich moisture coming from your field, the roots would probibly go down to it.

I would not recomend removal, unless you are having problems with the septic system.

Also any large fast growing tree should have a periodic inspection by a competant arborist to assess risk of failure. This person should be a consultant and have no vested interest in any mitigation/elimination of risk.

George,
The depth and extent of any tree's root system will depend on many factors, including soil type and density, soil moisture, irrigation practices, obstruction, etc, etc, etc. In general, roots will grow wherever soil structure, moisture, aeration, nutrition and temperature are favorable. Most roots do not grow more than 3 feet deep, with the majority in the first foot or so. Roots can extend one hundred feet or more from a large tree. Typically, I would guess the roots of your poplar tree extend about fifty feet or so from the trunk, but they will continue to grow as the tree gets larger. There is a very good chance that the roots will invade your septic system.
POSSIBLE TREATMENT:
The town of Ridgewood, NJ has been using this treatment since 1937. "One liter(1 qt) of 6-mm (.25-in.) diameter [copper sulfate] crystals are poured into porcelain toilet bowls. They are never poured in sinks, which have thin-walled traps. The toilet is flushed and the water in the bowl agitated with a plunger to make sure all crystals are carried down the drain. Semiannual treatments have controlled roots in tile sewer connections without discernable injury to the plants whose roots are killed." (Harris 1983).
Please be aware that I make no claims as to the effectiveness or safety of this method, I'm just passing along what I have read.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
Brett

Last edited:
You're right. I didn't think that far ahead. Next suggestion would be some type of physical barrier between the tree and the drain field.

Originally posted by Treeman14
You're right. I didn't think that far ahead. Next suggestion would be some type of physical barrier between the tree and the drain field.

I am trying to think of what to use as a barrier. I'm considering cutting the surface roots at points 20 feet from the trunk. I love the tree because it is very healthy and looks good, and provides shade and privacy for my deck however, given the choice between my septic drain field and the tree, the tree comes second. Question: If I cut the roots, will the root that is separated from the tree continue to grow underground or not? If it puts up new shoots, that is no problem as they will be cut automatically when I mow the lawn. I would like to know if the cut off portion of root is still a threat to the septic field.

George,
There are two products available from Sherrill Arborist Supplies, www.wtsherrill.com . The BioBarrier uses a chemical herbicide and the DeepRoot product uses a physical barrier to control root regrowth. Either product is placed in a trench which in your case would be dug between the tree and the septic system. I have never used these, but I believe they come with very specific installation instructions. I've been buying from Sherrill for years and I know they can answer any questions you might have. They're also one of this site's sponsors.

Latest posts

Back