Rope cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should contact the manufacturer for exact methods. I only use water, sometimes with a rope washer I bought from...uhmm I can't remember their name. More to follow.

Throw it in the washing machine with some regular detergent. It'll be fine, and so will your help. Plan on having a few tangles.

You might want to consider a front loader. Bull rope wrapped around the agitator in a top loader could be a big problem for the washer. It might make it hard to get out of the machine, too.

Used a bull rope for a take down and had some poison ivy in the tree. I'm sure the rope made contact. Any suggestions for cleaning? The rope is double braided 3/4".

Use a large heavy duty mesh bag, Woolite, and a front load washing machine. Hang it to dry.

Last week , I went to the Doctor for a steroid shot and 12 days of pills after getting covered up in the Poison Ivy.

She said the worst thing you could do is come home and take a hot shower, it spreads the oils. Take a cold shower instead.

Also to wash any clothing 3 times.

The Doc told me that the oils would stay active and able to cause a reaction for up to a year after getting on something.

For my bull rope , I'd use a mesh laundry bag, go to the laundry mat and use a front loader machine with a little woolite and cold water.

Last week , I went to the Doctor for a steroid shot and 12 days of pills after getting covered up in the Poison Ivy.

Welcome to my world! I just rolled off the steroid treatment 2 weeks ago. We did a hillside cleanup job, removing 40-50 pines, and one of my guys ran a poison ivy covered log through the chipper. I don't think he'll do that again!

One thing the doc reccomended was to wash off using Dawn dish detergent as soon as possible. He said that it breaks the oils down some and also helps to remove them (much like it does to dishes).

Last edited:
Welcome to my world! I just rolled off the steroid treatment 2 weeks ago. We did a hillside cleanup job, removing 40-50 pines, and one of my guys ran a poison ivy covered log through the chipper. I don't think he'll do that again!

One thing the doc reccomended was to wash off using Dawn dish detergent as soon as possible. He said that it breaks the oils down some and also helps to remove them (much like it does to dishes).

Trip to the Doc was the 3rd one in the past year.

Thanks for welcoming me into your world, but how do we get out of this world ? LOL

Used a bull rope for a take down and had some poison ivy in the tree. I'm sure the rope made contact. Any suggestions for cleaning? The rope is double braided 3/4".

I use a product called Oak-n-Ivy brand tecnu outdoor skin cleanser.
I buy it in 32 oz bottles. you rub in on for 2 minutes, then wash it off with soap and water. It neutralizes the urishinol from the poison ivy. (This is for your self) For your rope, wash in clear water with a mild detergent like ivory snow for example. Rinse thoroughly and air dry. The urishinol can stay active for months and cause a rash over and over again unless cleaned off.

I get poison Ivy easily and it lasts for 2 or 3 weeks before it goes away. This stuff helps me a lot. They also make a pre-contact solution and towelettes in individual packets to clean off with after contact.

Poison ivy pills

If you suffer from poison ivy, try taking poison ivy pills. I have purchased these things for my guys in the past. Some of the guys that took them reported that they got immediate improvement, some said that they did nothing. So far, nobody ever got ill or developed a rash from them.

My current supply is exhausted, because they all got taken away by guys that thought they worked. What does that tell you?

Apparently they work both for relief of symptoms and as a preventative. Sugar pills, they contain tiny amounts of the agent that causes the reaction. There are a number of different makers of the pills, look on Google for "poison ivy pills".

We used RHUS TOX, available in a number of different concentrations. Just one place out of many to buy from:

http://www.1-800homeopathy.com/products/details.html?productid=RHUT&gclid=CMzFho20pJMCFRUdsgod5itdpA

Thanks for some great suggestions! My concern was the length of time the oils remain active - I've gotten the rash from firewood in the middle of winter.
I used the Tech-nu product after I got done with this tree and no rash so far.
I don't have a front load washer so I'll try the mild detergent in a large tub. After it dries I'll loan it to someone and see if they get a rash. :hmm3grin2orange:

If you are REALLY worried about the oils, put a strong dose of Clorox in the wash. That will denature the oil and make it non-irritating.

That works on your skin too, but none of the medical people will tell you that.

If you are REALLY worried about the oils, put a strong dose of Clorox in the wash. That will denature the oil and make it non-irritating.

Yeah - seems like I've heard of that before on the skin. Wouldn't want it on the face though. Dad always sang the praises of Fels Naphtha Soap.

Ditto, ditto the Oak -n-Ivy Tecnu...that product WORKS. Forestry Suppliers Catalog has it listed.

Clorox will work too, my hubby used to use it on the blisters after they formed, until one time he overdid it and mildly poisoned himself...he doesn't do it any more! He is ULTRA sensitive to PI, the Tecnu really does work for him, can't recommend it enough.

As for your rope, I would be careful using bleach on it, too harsh...detergent and/or Tecnu and a double or triple rinse will help. Daisy chain it and wrap it around the spindle, that really helps to keep it from tangling, set it on gentle action.

PI, HATE the stuff, walked into some last week, luckily below waist level, the pants, shoes and socks went in the wash by themselves...so far, so good...

Bleach on your skin? No thanks, I use Zanfel and long sleeve shirts. I get it easy to but I don't think I ever got it from a rope that had contact with it.
Bleach? you might as well use gasoline.

Last edited:
Ditto, ditto the Oak -n-Ivy Tecnu...that product WORKS. Forestry Suppliers Catalog has it listed.

Clorox will work too, my hubby used to use it on the blisters after they formed, until one time he overdid it and mildly poisoned himself...he doesn't do it any more! He is ULTRA sensitive to PI, the Tecnu really does work for him, can't recommend it enough.

As for your rope, I would be careful using bleach on it, too harsh...detergent and/or Tecnu and a double or triple rinse will help. Daisy chain it and wrap it around the spindle, that really helps to keep it from tangling, set it on gentle action.

PI, HATE the stuff, walked into some last week, luckily below waist level, the pants, shoes and socks went in the wash by themselves...so far, so good...
Poisoned by putting bleach on you skin? Go figure, I would never think that would happen.

+1 on Tecnu.

The stuff is great. I'll use it if I expect to get exposed, after I'm exposed to take the oil off, if I get a small rash, it also seems to help keep it from spreading. The CVS Pharmacy stores have small bottles of it on the shelf around here.

Poisoned by putting bleach on you skin? Go figure, I would never think that would happen.

I used gasoline a couple times in my younger days. As for bleach poisoning, I don't know - could be individual susecptibility. At one time employees where I work washed their hands liberally every day with it to remover ink stains. They'd been using it for years and one day the owner asked me if I could figure out why we always had a strong odor from the septic tank.

I think the key is that she said he was using it to clean AFTER blistering. If he had any open wounds, he could have taken in too much chlorine directly into his blood through the wounds. Chlorine does nasty stuff when in excess...

I used gasoline a couple times in my younger days. As for bleach poisoning, I don't know - could be individual susecptibility. At one time employees where I work washed their hands liberally every day with it to remover ink stains. They'd been using it for years and one day the owner asked me if I could figure out why we always had a strong odor from the septic tank.

Did they never hear of GOJO? My God what a liabilty. The smell of bleach on your hands is enough to kill you, it takes awhile for it to go away.
One time I drop a carbuerator but caught it low and pulled it into my torso. I got gas on my little PP. Not good, in fact very bad.
My God the implications of employees using bleach like that. Did the owner let it go on? Get his ass sued he would. don't mean to offend but those people don't seem to bright. I used to be familiar with an AB ####, GOJO worked just fine.

Latest posts

Back