Rotax 299cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope to have some corn in the ground before then though. ...............
Bob

Bob,

We are basically done with corn. There are a couple little patches that need manure on them that we should have planted last week but held off. Hopefully if it dries up Wednesday we can be done with beans by the end of the weeek. I am planning on mowing hay in 3 weeks rain or not. I am tired of following the holiday schedule only to get screwed.

Bill

lol...time to start thinking of ways to hop it up...I'm sure people have already tricked these engines out before.

JJ,

Correct me if I am wrong I probably am) but that engine appears to be the wrong rotation which is common with sleds.

Bill

JJ,

Correct me if I am wrong I probably am) but that engine appears to be the wrong rotation which is common with sleds.

Bill

Most likely. I seem to remember where some guys were re-working the crank and reversing the rotation the Rotax motors for the hotsaws. Of course the guy to ask about that is Rotax Robert. Too bad he isn't around...

Most likely. I seem to remember where some guys were re-working the crank and reversing the rotation the Rotax motors for the hotsaws. Of course the guy to ask about that is Rotax Robert. Too bad he isn't around...

Well I'm not really interested in getting into anything that intensive anytime soon. Maybe years down the road when I know a LOT more and have some more time. Looking more like a kart engine all the time...

I was talking to my dad today about it; he had numerous snowmobiles as a kid in the late '60s - early '70s. He says the 300cc Rotax Bombardiers were rated 15HP; the 325s were 18, and the 350 was 20.

The 247cc engine was rated at 10hp, or 14hp on the supers (they had two little HL carbs hooked up with a progressive linkage!)

The 300's were 12hp to 16hp, depending on year, and carb.

320's were 18hp, and there were two or 3 versions of the 335. There was a free-air jug and sunburst head ported to deliver about 30hp for the 335, and guys would port them and shave heads for even more power.

Almost universally, they'd stick the pistons. I saw a Sachs (very similar) stick a piston so hard that it broke the ears off the jug and the jug/piston weldment would go up and down. Those cast-iron cylinders didn't expand like aluminum, and soon piston clearance was no more.

Dykes rings and increased piston clearance helped, but at power levels approaching 90bhp/liter, useful engine life was poor. My uncle built and raced sleds in those days; the old 297 Sachs (very similar) in full race mode wouldn't make it to the end of a cross-country race (100 miles).

This sounds like the perfect project engine for a milling saw!

Good luck,

Well I'm not really interested in getting into anything that intensive anytime soon. Maybe years down the road when I know a LOT more and have some more time. Looking more like a kart engine all the time...

I was talking to my dad today about it; he had numerous snowmobiles as a kid in the late '60s - early '70s. He says the 300cc Rotax Bombardiers were rated 15HP; the 325s were 18, and the 350 was 20.

If you are looking to make a kart, one thing you may want to try and find is a drive unit (transmission) from an old OMC (johnson or Evinrude) snowmobile. They have a secondary clutch on the input side, and then a splined shaft to accept a sprocket on the other. Plus, they have a disk brake mounted right to the unit, and many have reverse with a shifter. They are nice and small and light also and work great. A buddy made a mini - dune buggy type rig for the sand dunes using one of those and a 485 yamaha phazer twin. Your 300 should move it along just fine, as the 485 one was positively terrifying to ride in.
:cheers:

You could also use a Polaris ATV transmission, those have a secondary clutch on one side and sprocket out on the other - some are even 4x4 like on my quad! Would make a cool kart with the Rotax power. be careful if you decide to do it though, b/c pretty soon you'll be wanting to put an 800 triple or something in it.

You could also use a Polaris ATV transmission, those have a secondary clutch on one side and sprocket out on the other - some are even 4x4 like on my quad! Would make a cool kart with the Rotax power. be careful if you decide to do it though, b/c pretty soon you'll be wanting to put an 800 triple or something in it.

My brother does have a Polaris 700 Twin mountain sled that's not been used in a couple years... The thing sounds absolutely sick, and can go faster than I want to. I've had it to 100 MPH which is scary enough for me. I couldn't imagine wrecking at that speed.

I've seen torque-converter belt drive units very similar to the Polaris ones for sale for under $200 before, but I can't remember where exactly. I'm thinking it was Princess Auto.

That motor would be a perfect upgrade for an Elan.

Gotta love those old Elan`s, they could slink down a trail just wide enough for a man to walk along and travel over powder snow where other sleds would sink and overheat. When the going got too tough for the bigger sleds 2 guy`s could pick one up and carry it across a fallen log crossing a flowing stream. I have actually picked one up and tossed it over windfalls blocking the path on more than one occasion. They wern`t fast but they got you around the woods real well. Today`s sleds are great on open terrain.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Gotta love those old Elan`s, they could slink down a trail just wide enough for a man to walk along and travel over powder snow where other sleds would sink and overheat. When the going got too tuugh for the bigger sleds 2 guy`s could pick one up and carry it across a fallen log crossing a flowing stream. I have actually picked one up and tossed it over windfalls blocking the path on more than one occasion. They wern`t fast but they got you around the woods real well. Today`s sleds are great on open terrain.
Pioneerguy600

Heh, the turn radius and stance of my brother's Polaris 700 mountain sled practically restricts it to trails I could take my pickup down. Unless you're in deep powder, in which case you can dig that thing in and turn it on a dime if you really throw your weight around. It's a lot of work.

Back