Rough Compression Check?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems like I read somewhere that a rough estimate of good compression for a chainsaw is to pick the saw up by the rope handle and if picks up the saw without unwinding then you have pretty good compression.

I ask because I found a mint looking McCulloch PM 610 yesterday, but sitting on the floor when I pulled the crank, it easily pulled out and the saw stayed solid on the floor. My thoughts were - given the price and what I thought was lack of compression, this saw wasn't going home with me.

When I came home, I tried the same on my fleet of saws and you can pick the saw up by the rope - much more apparent compression.

I realize there is no real substitution for a gauge, but in a pinch is the above rope pull method something you folks use?

BTY, the 610 was $100.

Thanks!
Bill

General rule of thumb

Usually this test is done with powerhead only. If it has a smaller bar, say 16" or so, you will have to compensate for the extra weight. Hold the saw off the ground and let it fall while holding the recoil. The saw should turn over approx. once a second. If it falls a lot quicker, I'd say low compression(100-110psi) and vise-versa.
This is only a rough guide, as there are too many variables-weight of saw/decomp/dirty recoil/etc.

Latest posts

Back