Round plastic thimbles in an eye splice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So far I have chosen to not use a thimble on my lanyards, so I can splice the eye really tight and hold the snap sort of rigid.

I was wondering how many use a round plastic thimble when splicing to their lanyard snap?

What brought this to mind today is I am about to splice a srt basal anchor rope with a small rigging plate splice in one end like is showing up so much everywhere.

Am leaning towards no round plastic thimble, but still thinking about that.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Decided to built the anchor without the thimble. Maybe I am having a bad day, but the vortex kicked my ass trying to push a fid. Cover seems so tight. Had to get out my Brian Toss wand and do a pull.

I decided to splice into the middle small hole instead of the usual configuration. Depends on how it's used, but having used it once now I think I like this way. If not I'll just resplice it the usual way on the other end. Pics before lock stitch.

Last edited:
I think it looks great the way you did it. The bend radius looks fine. I used to use thimbles but stopped for two main reasons: I couldn't make a tight connection to the snap, and I didn't like the geometry the thimble forces on the splice. Ideally you want the buried leg of the splice to enter the rope as nearly parallel to the line of pull as possible, that is, at an extremely oblique angle. The thimble defeats this. If the eye of the splice were going to do a lot of rubbing against something then it might be worth using a thimble.

I think it looks great the way you did it. The bend radius looks fine. I used to use thimbles but stopped for two main reasons: I couldn't make a tight connection to the snap, and I didn't like the geometry the thimble forces on the splice. Ideally you want the buried leg of the splice to enter the rope as nearly parallel to the line of pull as possible, that is, at an extremely oblique angle. The thimble defeats this. If the eye of the splice were going to do a lot of rubbing against something then it might be worth using a thimble.

Good point about the angle of the rope at the splice with a round thimble. Thus the teardrop eye, I guess.

Latest posts

Back