RUNAWAY Husky 445!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCOLC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Husky 445 recently developed an issue where it occasionally won't come back down to idle speed when the throttle is released...in fact sometimes the saw will begin to run at high speed...almost at top speed... immediately after it's started...or will remain at top speed even after the trigger is released. Throttle trigger moves freely and from the feel of it the throttle mechanism is "returning" along with the trigger. I haven't got a clue! Any idea where I should begin?

In the 2t motorcycle world it's called a "no load runaway" and is the result of an air leak(assuming you have no linkage issues)
If this is the case,putting it under load(in a piece of wood) should immediately cause it to shut off as it has no power under this lean condition.If it cuts normally when you bury it in a piece of wood,this isn't your problem.

In the 2t motorcycle world it's called a "no load runaway" and is the result of an air leak(assuming you have no linkage issues)
If this is the case,putting it under load(in a piece of wood) should immediately cause it to shut off as it has no power under this lean condition.If it cuts normally when you bury it in a piece of wood,this isn't your problem.

Next time it happens I'll give this a try. Thank you and to all that replied!

Next time it happens, cut the ignition or pull the spark plug cap. If it continuest run wide open, you've got an air leak. Could be around the carb intake or crank seals.

Putting a load on the saw to get it to stop is a good idea and another good indicator that the problem is an air leak.

I wouldn't run the saw like that at all, even for a test cut. Either linkage is binding, which you can most likely eyeball, or like they said, an air leak and the means to find the air leak is well known here.

Yeah, check the linkage first with the cover off maybe its getting stuck - full of chips or other oily garbage. And I second the motion that if it is an air leak you don't want to run the saw like that - you will grenade it due to a too-lean condition. :cool2:

Latest posts

Back