Running a saw to rich.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter101

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay, so what is the worst thing that can happen to your saw, by running it to rich, besides loss of performance.

I'd rather have a rich saw than a poor saw. :popcorn2:

b2e.png

So where is the best balance. I have tore down saws with huge carbon build ups in the exhaust port, thin coat on piston and combustion chamber.

Last one like that was my Jred 52. I just cleaned the exhaust port out haven't pulled the cylinder but will when I do the bearings. Piston looked like new from the exhaust and blew a solid #160.

But the build up was somewhat alarming. Not just a coating but little pencil eraser sized chunks on the floor.

I envisioned a chunk breaking loose and getting sucked back into the cylinder.

Is this more fuel mix quality related then A/F ratio?

I get anal once every couple of years and like to spray a fresh coat of heat black on the exhaust can. I don't find anything to alarming and it all gets cleaned up before painting. A clean saw is a happy saw.

So where is the best balance. I have tore down saws with huge carbon build ups in the exhaust port, thin coat on piston and combustion chamber.

Carbon scoring of the piston and cylinder. NOT pretty! :cry::dizzy:

A little rich is O.K. but too rich will cause harm. Can be from A/F ratio OR mix ratio, one effects the other.

Here is some pics from Huskyvarmit and JohnnyRed. Pics are same but from two different manuals

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

carbon scoring 1.png

carbon scoring 2.png

I put a lot of time into the carb this year. Will see what it looks like with the new tune and consistent mix.

I have no history on it. Just an auction saw that came home 12 or 15yrs ago cause it had a new chain. Always starts and runs when needed. TLC was never part of the program.

Why would anybody want to run a saw on the rich side? Often one minute with a screw driver and it is perfect every day. When weather changes a little I make a little adjust. I work from 7200 to 1200 feet often so am adjusting often. A rich cylinder will wear much faster than a well tuned motor because of raw fuel without lubrication. A well tuned motor will burn away the fuel leaving a deposit of oil, but a rich one will have the oil washed away by the raw fuel. Thanks

Last one like that was my Jred 52. I just cleaned the exhaust port out haven't pulled the cylinder but will when I do the bearings. Piston looked like new from the exhaust and blew a solid #160.

But the build up was somewhat alarming. Not just a coating but little pencil eraser sized chunks on the floor.

I envisioned a chunk breaking loose and getting sucked back into the cylinder.

Is this more fuel mix quality related then A/F ratio?

Never had a tach so here goes.....

Make sure carb is functional, get a clean air filter and a sharp chain on what you will be running. Sort out your idle and low setting first. Have a piece of wood you can bury the bar in. Tune Hi at WOT so it just burbles/4 strokes out of the cut. Don't wind it up too long if it is lean! Put it into a cut and it should clean up, if not lean out slowly until it does. Check again that it still burbles out of the cut, if not go back and forth between out of wood and buried in a cut until things are as stated above.

If you change oil, gas, mix ratio, or altitude tune will change and you might have to readjust carb. Try to find what runs best then buy a stock of quality mix oil, use the same gas, and keep the ratio the same. Write it down some place, so if you change one of the variables, you can return close to the carb settings that work with your combination(s).

I won't go into an oil, gas or mix ratio rant. Use the best gas and oil you can find/afford, tune the saw to the mix ratio you decide on. If you change things and have to retune, write down your carb settings.

If you use "corn fed" gas use it up soon or discard it/put it into the old Ford/Deere tractor.

Latest posts

Back