Running in winter temps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
At what point do you open that little flap that pulls combustion air from the cylinder area for a preheat? I've never bothered with it.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
At what point do you open that little flap that pulls combustion air from the cylinder area for a preheat? I've never bothered with it.

Ian

I open the flap around -5c...

blis said:
doesnt happen with huskies g-models :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi,

it does in Germany! Most, if not all of the G models here only have heated handles -> no carb heaters...

Same story with Stihl so it must be a German thing.

Bye

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

it does in Germany! Most, if not all of the G models here only have heated handles -> no carb heaters...

Same story with Stihl so it must be a German thing.

Bye

awww, i actually feel sorry for you ppl over there not having heated carbs...
well, atleast you got winter kits i hope...

blis said:

Hi,

yep got the blue plastic cover and the plug thing.

It would be even better if I could actually use them as intended. They are made for the "slotted" starter cord cover but the cover on my saw is one with square holes instead of slots. I was able to modify the blue cover to fit but to be able to use the plug I would have to modify the starter cover too...

Quite annoying as I usually only cut things in winter.

Bye

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

yep got the blue plastic cover and the plug thing.

It would be even better if I could actually use them as intended. They are made for the "slotted" starter cord cover but the cover on my saw is one with square holes instead of slots. I was able to modify the blue cover to fit but to be able to use the plug I would have to modify the starter cover too...

Quite annoying as I usually only cut things in winter.

Bye

all the starter covers are square hole type, which means you have to cut one "bridge" off, just did it to my own saw this morning..

I never use the winter kit ,,,
been cutting in -15 celsius with no problems ,,,,
talked to my dealer about it yesterday, his advice was to use the kit if you experience trouble only ,,,
though I never asked if there was any danger in not using it ,,,,,,,,

SWE#Kipp said:
talked to my dealer about it yesterday, his advice was to use the kit if you experience trouble only ,,,

in powder snow its quite handy, you might experience it yourself by dropping saw into 0.5m deep powder snow for while and see how it likes it :hmm3grin2orange:

SWE#Kipp said:
Ditto, I have never used it!

Thanks... I'm sure it's in the Owner's Manual somewhere, but my dealer lost the one that came with mine, and I threw away the one he printed out for me in a fit of desk cleaning.

Anyone have it in a PDF?

thanks,
Ian

Edit: Nevermind... seems that Owner's Manuals are indeed available at the Stihl site.

Last edited:
cold weather

cold wheather sucks to work in
i have used foil tape too help reflect extra heat back to the carb on my logging 262 husky west coast special :rock:

carb icing

I'm out of left field on this, but if I recall (this is many beers and years ago) I took a 'ground school' class in aircraft training. Details are too boring.

I do remember something about "carb icing" as most (if not all) smaller airplanes in the 'states have carbs and carb heaters. Carb icing was most likely to occur in temperatures just above freezing (3- 5 c) due to the high relative humidity of the melting snow and such. Your best bet to avoid carb icing would be to avoid cutting in that range, at least w/out the baffle (stihl here) turned to the snowflake side. Needless to say, Ky prolly won't have much a problem with this.

It can occur much higher and lower than that.

From the web...

Carb icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapour to freeze. The ice will form on the surfaces of the carburetor throat, further restricting it. This may increase the venturi effect initially, but eventually restricts airflow, perhaps even causing a complete blockage of the carburetor. Icing may also cause jamming of the mechanical parts of the carburetor, such as the throttle butterfly valve.

The following chart if about aircraft, but applies to most small engines. Note that power changes the likelyhood of carb icing

attachment.php

Last edited:
blis said:
Would you mind showing us Americans what a winter kit is ?
Thanks, MIke

manual said:
Would you mind showing us Americans what a winter kit is ?
Thanks, MIke

yes, i do mind

cant find a pic of it and too lazy to go downstairs to take pic atm

Latest posts

Back