Running subsurface drain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricketytimberwoodco

Reaction score
Hello!

I am running a 4" drain line to clear flooded areas of my property, however the area in question surrounds a fairly large oak tree.

The drain lines will be about 8 feet away from the base of the trunk, which is about 2 feet wide.

The depth of the pipe near the tree will be about a foot below the surface, no deeper

My question is if it will be safe to cut only the roots in the way of the pipe trench, this is just a 4" pipe running under the ground, not a french drain.
And what would you guys recommend I do alternatively for this area? If I should move the pipe somewhere else, either way, it needs to reach the end of the driveway to the ditch.

I do intend to check the pipes about once ever few months, for any roots drawing near to the pipes, as i already do with my existing lines. I've never cut already formed roots, however.

It has no rock surrounding it so Ill only need to make the hole big enough to fit the pipe. I'll do my best to work around larger roots instead of cutting them, the damage id imagine will be pretty minimal, but im not a professional arborist.
Hw78Pkt.jpg

3txJ91j.jpg

No not ideal to trench cut roots as shown, maybe consider pot hole dig to open up along planned trench and then hand digging burrow to allow slipping of the pipe under over any roots found to impede your design larger than say 1 inch

Most roots you should find are in profile above 1 foot down

Latest posts

Back