sachs dolmar 112

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss550

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i love my saw and it has never failed me, but is there anything i can do to give it a bit more pep? im new to the site but not new to the woods:) ive been reading and searching for a while and thot it was time to ask......... thanks

btw, i have about 200 big pines to bring down in the next 2 weeks, so any ideas would be appreciated

also, any suggestions as to the best chain and bar for my saw and raker height etc.

i will be building a house with these logs(my first one) and is there much different besides a taller raker i would want for notching and long grooves????????

Last edited:
If you're willing to pay some money, theres a few resident saw builders that could modify the saw for you.

For muffler mods do a search for "muffler mods" and you'll see a great wealth of info on how to do it and what tools are needed.

For bar lengths, Mike Acres' site says 16-18" long bars with 3/8 or .325 pitch chains. staying with factory spec raker height is probably a good idea, normally factory settings are a raker height of .025"

The silver 112 is a special beast. Rather rare. I have one that has never had fuel in it. I would not modify this saw, it is old school technology. At 51cc and being an oldtimer, it would easily be outclassed by a modern saw. Keep the 112 and get yourself a new 60cc class saw, Husky 357, or Stihl MS361. If you are building a house, a new chainsaw is a drop in the bucket budget wise. In the attached link, my silver 112 appears at the bottom, the pictures were taken before I bought the saw.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...9994365aa5ccd12c88256b62005b8ecb?OpenDocument

Welcome bighoss!

I agree you won't see much more power out of an older saw. What shape is it in? Might just need freshend up a little or at most a light rebuild, rings etc. Myself I prefer a 20" bar, long enough to tackle most anything here in PA. Some good .325" chain with chisel cutters should do a fine job.

the sachs 112. very nice saw. just a bit slower than the stihl 026 and a little heavier. 3.1 cubes. mine does have a couple hours on it. marty

its seen alot of hours and it had a rebuild last year. thanks for the replys. its such a reliable saw that i dont think i want to get a new one:) it seems to fit me perfectly and i can run it for hours on end and not bother my back like my buddies jonsered turbo(like a concrete block!).
i used to mess around with 2 strokes in 4 wheelers(i had a 82hp yamaha banshee i built) and i have often wondered what an expansion chambered exhaust would do to help a saw. i will try the exhaust mod and i plan on switching to amsoil.
i have a 32"bar and chain but have never used it, and thats why i was wonderin about a few more horsies. its just for cutting the log ends after the wall is built, and door and window openings. if i take my time and dont push it, it sould be ok, right???

the ol girl is pretty beat up, so its not much of a collectors item. not broken or anything, just worn and faded on the case. it actually looks more white than silverbut if u take off the covers on top its still silver there:)
if i do buy another saw it will be a 009 or somethin along those lines.

would an 8 tooth sprocket and 3/8" chipper(round) chain work well on this saw? i need the high chain speed and chipper chain for brushing notches and such. i am going to be using carlton A1EP chain in a 20" loop. it comes .028 raker height, and a local guy mentioned this setup with the rakers set at .015-.020. (8 tooth with small raker height chipper chain)

thot id run it by the big dogs first:angel:

I'd think the 8 tooth drive sprocket would be quite optimistic for a saw that size, even with those depth figures.  Try setting them that depth first, with the sprocket you're now using, and see if that doesn't help a bunch.  .028 is a bit deep anyway.

Glen

Back