• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Sachs Dolmar 166 top-end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
machineguy62

machineguy62

ArboristSite Lurker
Am the proud owner of a 166 and trying to locate engine parts with no success. Scuffed cylinder so need to replace.
Came on to this site while searching.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Don

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hi
Is the cylinder scuffed or does it have transfer from the piston on it?
There is a thread on cleaning transfer off the cylinder I beilev it is Mastermind's cylinder cleaning method.There are a couple of ways to clean them up.One is to use acid but considering the saw and cylinder i would not take the chance of lifting the plating with acid.
You have a rare saw,that parts will be hard to find and expensive.
Want to sell it?......Just kidding sort of.... it is one of the saws i would like to have in my hoard.
Post some pic's of the cylinder and someone will chime in if it is saveable.
Thomas

machineguy62

machineguy62

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the info. When I get a chance will try and get some pics up, actually took to a local shop. Will go over and take a good look at both the piston and cylinder. Don't think it is transfer, but aint no expert.
At this time not really wanting to part with it, really really fun saw in large wood. Last big saw my Dad bought new. Sentimental value, ya know. If'n it can be saved, would like to do so.
Don

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Theirs a good chance that if you have it at a shop they might not want to fix it without new parts. That doesn't mean that it can't be fixed with the old cylinder,or the piston for that matter.If a piston is not available new so long as the ring grooves are good the piston can be cleaned up as well.Maybe not for a saw that will get used everyday,but for a saw to run every once in a while for sentimental sake for sure.
Thomas

machineguy62

machineguy62

ArboristSite Lurker
Kind of getting that feeling from the local guy, great guy, but hesitant. Decided to just go get it back and see where it goes.
Will get pics as soon as I can.
Don

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hi Don
Good Idea picking up your saw.
Do you know if they diagnosed the problem that led to the scuffing of the piston?
You will want to find the reason so it doesn't happen again.A few pic's will help form a plan to see what the issue was/is.
If working on this saws is deeper than you have been in a saw before,than there is lot's of help here to walk you through it. And if you feel you are in the deep end of the pool,there are lots of guys that would fix your saw right.There are a few that would love a chance to work on a 166.My self included.
Thomas

astnmacgto

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
A saw like that you want to make sure everything is perfect before you use it. get a good indication of its health so you don't end up ruining something that can't be fixed

machineguy62

machineguy62

ArboristSite Lurker
Thomas,
No diagnosis that I recall, I do know the cylinder wall has a noticeable mark that you can feel with your fingernail. Never paid much attention to the piston. Going to retrieve tomorrow, will get some pics up.
Never been into a saw before, just about everything else, just not saws. The offer of help is truly appreciated, will be taking you up on that for sure.
astnmacgto,
Thank you for the advise, sounds like words to heed. To my knowledge at this point no damage anywhere but the cylinder.
Don

machineguy62

machineguy62

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the input fellas.
Lee, been workin on Harleys for years and the bottom end seems fine from my experience with those. No noticeable end shake or side play. Rolls through like glass.
Jacob J., is there some info on removing transfer? Sounds like I be needin ta educate myself on that. Also, could you elaborate on sources for piston and rings please.
astnmacgto, thanks for the encouragement, good ta hear there is hope.
Don

Latest posts