Safe width for the intake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
On a full skirt piston what is a safe width for the intake? I know 70% is the max for the exhaust is it the same for the intake?

I've been going about the same on the intake as the exhaust.

You could go wider with a piston that has a wider skirt. But you won't have as much area for the rings to ride on.

Many designs the ring(s) are above the intake so no worries.

70% will be fine but some designs will take it further.

Well I am trying to take my 350 further and am working on one for somebody else as well and want to keep it in a safe range. I am also thinking about checking to see where I am at on my 359 cause it was my first port job and I didnt actually measure anything.

If its a work saw and for someone else, keep it 70% width accross the chord or less to be safe. The small gains going wider won't be worth the risk and added wear.

Thanks TW I really appreciate the knowledge that you share. I have always enjoyed working on small block chevy engines before discovering that you could do anything to chainsaws other than run them and really enjoy tinkering on these things and the saws are definetly cheaper to work on esp if you screw up.

Latest posts

Back