Sappy rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprherosndwch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Took down a forked Ponderosa yesterday. It was dripping with sap, and now all my gear is covered in the stuff. Is the rope soap they sell at $13 a pop worth the money, or can I just through the rope in the washer and clean it with regular laundry soap, and how important is it that I put the rope into a bag. And has anyone ever tryed washing a throw line. S

I keep my stuff clean by using Woolite. The manufacturer of my climbing line reccomended using that in a commercial front load washer and then hanging to dry. The last time I cleaned it, I just put it into a tub of luke warm water with woolite and let it soak for 2 days. It does a pretty good job. If you use a machine, then a bag is a MUST to keep the line from getting tangled around the mechanics of the washing mahine.

She Who Must Be Obeyed will take my eye out with a fireplace poker if I wash my filthed up gear in the same machine as her delicates go.

I wouldn't want her lace smelling like a sticky Pine either, so off to the Laundromat for me.

Fortunate for me, the Laundromat also has a Car-wash, I can get two jobs done at the same time, no waiting.

Mesh bag, any liquid laundy soap that has citrus derivatives, cuts sap like nothing else, stuff in Split-tails while I'm at it, hang to dry.

My ropes are clean, her car is clean, no one gets their eye poked out.

RedlineIt

Throw line

This is not a good idea unless you put three lines in, and want to keep busy till spring.:clap: :clap: :clap:

The quick fix

I got jammed up a couple months back b/c the sap had my lanyard so sticky I couldn't slide my prusik knot. I finally got out of the tree and wiped dirt all over my line until it didn't feel sticky at all and it actually allowed me to keep using the lanyard for the rest of the job. I know it's probably not the reccomended solution but it got me out of a jam.

I just got my fairly new poison ivy line covered in pine sap a week or so back. First time I have really abused it. I have an older new england that I usually do the dirty, wet jobs with. I pay the girl at the laundry mat $15 to wash all of my clothes AND my ropes :D.

I supply the soap and diet Dr Pepper for her... ;)

:clap:
She Who Must Be Obeyed will take my eye out with a fireplace poker if I wash my filthed up gear in the same machine as her delicates go.

I wouldn't want her lace smelling like a sticky Pine either, so off to the Laundromat for me.

Fortunate for me, the Laundromat also has a Car-wash, I can get two jobs done at the same time, no waiting.

Mesh bag, any liquid laundy soap that has citrus derivatives, cuts sap like nothing else, stuff in Split-tails while I'm at it, hang to dry.

My ropes are clean, her car is clean, no one gets their eye poked out.

RedlineIt
:clap: -good one! too true!-:cheers:

Make sure that you use a front load washing machine... you can get mesh bags at your local dollar store for under $2

Tide coldwater and a few tablespoons of a decent pine-oil or citrus oil cleanser. Let your ropes sit for a few hours then spray them off with a high pressure water hose. I advise against the carwash unless you're experienced because you'll end up tearing up the sheath on your ropes. Chain up your ropes and hang them some place with plenty of shade and airflow to dry and they'll be good as new.

If you use primarily white ropes like I do, when you stop seeing "white" and start seeing brown you need to clean your ropes. lol

Especially if you're using prussiks knots clean ropes are important for mobility, though sappy ropes will actually bind up tighter and faster they're a pain in general.

I use a croll, shunt, and stop though, so a sappy rope just makes it slow for me to go down generally.

I have heard of some using Butter Milk to remove the Sap same way some would Tomato juice for Skunk Oil. I don't know for sure. But Do go to an Landry Mat . Than go buy a Friction Saver(Cambium saver Long strap two rings). Your Ropes will be Cleaner Last Longer and when you have to wash it will be that friction Saver. If you can install a rope from the ground you can install a Friction save. The Steel Rings on the other Friction saver can be slipped through one another to Gurth hitch on a limb on tree that has no Tie in points. I like to have both

Latest posts

Back