Sardines, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
When I’m out in the sticks putting in some firewood I like snacks: Some Swiss Cheese and crackers in a bag is good, Hard Boiled Eggs that I peel the night before, Chcolate Peanuts, and the staple of the Midiwest woodsman, (when you can find good ones in oil) Sardines. Don’t forget Ice Water. Stay Hydrated.
What kind of snacks do you take?

Sardines weren't to bad at 50 cents a pack now they are over a buck. Usually have a pepsi or coke to get a sip from now and then.

When I am burning brush I bring hot dogs and mustard. Nothing beats a hot dog on a stick roasted over a brush fire. Oh and to wash it down a couple of brush burning sodas.

Sardines weren't to bad at 50 cents a pack now they are over a buck. Usually have a pepsi or coke to get a sip from now and then.

They're also great big. I used to like the small ones. I'm not too sure the ones today are even sardines. I'd go for Pepsi or Coke. Thanks for the reply.

How about Beanie-Weinie or Vienna Sausages in the little cans. Used to good for a snack.

if its summer time I take triscuits for the salt, snickers or a powerbar...they are pretty close in the nutrition dept. a 20oz bottle of Dew and switch between that and water.

Winter time--Thermos of coffee, bottled water, peanuts, a hard boiled egg or 2 and some jerky

Jeff

Bar Harbor makes a few different flavors of herring in oil/sauce that I really like. I can open a can of them and with some crackers have a healthy lunch. They are pricey but a friend of mine gives them to me for free and he gets them in bulk. It is the one thing I can leave in the pantry and the wife and kids will not eat them:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Corn Nuts

They used to have Corn Nuts. We would keep those in our pocket in high school baseball practice. Real filling. I liked the KC Masterpiece Bar b Que ones.
Guys at the Ameren Power Station were always eating sunflower seeds-- same way at The Nuke. Those are good. Always sunflower seeds and shells all over the floor. They don't like that at Clinton Power Station.

Sardines are an appropriate meal for eating outdoors providing there are no bears around.

I like to make sandwiches out of heavy rye bread and sardines that come in a variety of sauces. Mustard, tomato, lemon and jalepeno are a few of my favourites. Lots of energy and good for you too!

Other high energy food such as trail mix is good for eating on the fly. Eat that with some beef jerky. You'd be surprised how tasty the two are together.

One of my favourite lunches is Spam with Velveeta cheese on a fresh kaiser bun. Have a couple crispy pickles and a non-alcohol beer to chase it. Nice.

I like sardine's with s little vinegar and some saltine crackers.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

When I was over in korea around 2000 you could buy expired army rations from the US military guys for only a few bucks. Those things were amazing and I used to buy them a box at a time. Haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar in aus. Can't be beat for price, nutrition/energy content and variety of flavor. A box would usually have a whole bunch of different meal items, but the amazing thing was how much stuff you got in each one. A typical pack would contain 2 or 3 mains, sides, 2 or 3 drinks, desert, condiments, knife and fork, salt and pepper, toothpick etc. The mains were substantial and not dehydrated. They actually taste good. Best part is they cook themselves. While hiking I'd open one up 15 minutes before the end of the day and put some water in there. Didnt need to be clean water, anything would do. Close it back up and throw it in my pack and keep hiking. When I stopped I'd have a cooked meal to eat.

The army guys used to hate them though. They say they stop you up if you eat too many which i can believe. I never ate them for more than a few days at a time. I found a single pack would cover me for lunch and dinner sometimes. If you can get them stateside I cant recomend them highly enough. I always had a few stashed in my jeep for just in case.

Shaun

Back