sassafras help? Planting area picked, but not sure what tree can take

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzHopsing

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi again all! I've recently come into possession of some sassafras saplings, and have straightaway put them in some pots, because I'm not certain they'll do very well being planted with the super hot weather that we're having.

I've done some research on the tree, but can't seem to find any "experience" stories on what this tree can withstand, environmentally. Some say the tree needs some shade, others say it needs as much sun as it can possibly get. More specifically, I've read that while it can grow in a wide range of soils, that it must be well drained. The planting area I have in mind is near our pond/creek area, which, occasionally (maybe once a year on average) overflows it's banks with heavy rains, as creeks sometimes tend to do, but it does drain right off. Can the tree stand wet feet for awhile?

And there was one memorable event about 8 or 9 years ago when there was so much rain north of us the water rose up to our house; which put the pond about 15-20 feet over it's banks. (I woke up while it was still dark and I thought I was still dreaming - there was a lake out the front door.) The water had mostly run off by late morning, but everything down there was underwater for a good 4 or 5 hours. It didn't kill anything down there, thank goodness. Probably one of those 50 or 100-year events, but worth mentioning. This really is my biggest concern.

Any tips, guidance, etc., would be most appreciated!

Thanks ATH!! There's other trees down there, so maybe I'll move it to where it'll get some shade in the afternoon when it is hottest. At least until they get tall, and with the access to water, they certainly will, I think.

Good morning, and have a great rest of the week, ATH and all! :drinkingcoffee:

Can't beat sassafras tea. Scrape the bark off and put in boiling water and make hot tea! Very good! The smaller the tree the better. ( saplings ) Grandma cooked many gallons back in the 60's from saplings on the drive way. Once they are gone they are hard to get back. We had hundreds of little ones on the banks of the drive way back then, Whe have none now as the bush hog has taken them all down. I do miss the old man giving me sassafras tea and whiskey when I was sick, With a spoon full of sugar and honey in the glass.

This sounds wonderful, amberg. :) They smelled wonderful coming out of their package, so I really hope these little saplings will make it. They're looking terribly pitiful right now having been shipped to me from Connecticut, but they're sitting in their pots in the bay window away from the worst of the heat. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll spring back if the roots are strong. At any rate, if they don't recover, I'll order a healthier specimen from a proper nursery in the fall.

I live in an area with heavy clay soils and have some sass growing wild on my land. Its location is along the edge of a cut over wooded area along the edge of a field where the trees are getting full sun. If anything the sass location is a bit wetter than most of the surrounding soil because of the way the field drains through there.

I'm curious where you got sassafras saplings. I would really like to plant some in my yard. I have sandy, well drained soil. I haven't had any success transplanting wild saplings. It is my understanding that the saplings sucker off the roots and when transplanting them they don't carry enough root to survive. I haven't found any commercially.

That first batch I got from a group in CT, and I *think* they just might make it, but still not sure. I ordered a couple more from my favorite nursery and they came in yesterday; Missouri Wildflowers Nursery here: http://mowildflowers.net/

I've spent a LOT of money with these folks! They're awesome. I'm on the waiting list for a couple of White Oaks this fall, and can't wait!

I read that sassafras need all the time they can get to establish themselves before winter, so I imagine that's why they're available way earlier than Fall.

That first batch I got from a group in CT, and I *think* they just might make it, but still not sure. I ordered a couple more from my favorite nursery and they came in yesterday; Missouri Wildflowers Nursery here: http://mowildflowers.net/

I've spent a LOT of money with these folks! They're awesome. I'm on the waiting list for a couple of White Oaks this fall, and can't wait!

I read that sassafras need all the time they can get to establish themselves before winter, so I imagine that's why they're available way earlier than Fall.

The trees I am talking about started many years ago. and they were only eight feet then on the driveway.

The trees I am talking about started many years ago. and they were only eight feet then on the driveway.

I don't doubt it. Have you tried to plant more where the old sassafras used to be since your little saplings got bush hogged over? It turns out that the little shoots that mature sassafras trees send out are hard to establish once they're out of the ground. The little saplings I got from CT just don't seem like they're going to recover. :(

Still, going to be planting the two new ones this weekend! I'm sooooo hoping they'll take. :yes:

I don't doubt it. Have you tried to plant more where the old sassafras used to be since your little saplings got bush hogged over? It turns out that the little shoots that mature sassafras trees send out are hard to establish once they're out of the ground. The little saplings I got from CT just don't seem like they're going to recover. :(

Still, going to be planting the two new ones this weekend! I'm sooooo hoping they'll take. :yes:

No never replanted any, actually the sides of the driveway have been mowed for years now. I hope the new ones do ok. If you get them going maybe you could take couple pictures of them.

They got planted yesterday! The first one is just to the south of our tiny pond, and the second is on the other side of our service road, north of the culvert and our pond. Here's some pics of their location:

Pictures are taken while facing east; our house is behind me, and south is to the right (obviously). So they'll be getting plenty of sun.

1st tree general area; the hubby cleared out a large area of the tall grass that grows around the pond, for both trees. Enough that he'll be able to get the riding mower in there to keep it down. This tree will see more shade than tree #2. (The pin oak pictured was a subject of a thread of mine in '08, here. I can't figure out what happened to the pics of this tree I posted at that time, sadly):
IMG_1536%20Large.jpg

A little closer:
IMG_1537%20Large.jpg

And here it is, with it's little cage, otherwise the deer would finish it off:
IMG_1538%20Large.jpg

Here's #2 sassafras general area - one of our dogs has a cameo shot:
IMG_1539%20Large.jpg

And a little closer to tree #2:
IMG_1540%20Large.jpg

Yes, everything is really, really, REALLY dry. I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to rain again. Both trees were well watered yesterday, and will be watered very thoroughly today here in a few minutes. See anything we should be doing or not doing, guys? Suggestions would be very welcome!

Also, bonus points to my ol' man for seriously sweating it out clearing these weeds to plant these. It was freaking HOTTTT this past weekend. Horrible. My 'maters are doing great though!

Latest posts

Back