Save the maple!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G's-Tree

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like some advice for a beautiful maple tree in my front yard. Around 160 months ago, a strong wind broke off over half of this tree. It also took a beating from the 2004 hurricanes (I'm in central FL). This maple is still 25' or more tall, and I really want it to survive. I don't think it is a typical maple breed, as it appears to be real soft, and the wood is almost white in color. The tree is leaning pretty far to one side, and I'm afraid the remaining half will snap from its trunk as well. The tree appears to be very healthy, and springs back after winter almost overnight. The bark on the trunk side which was lost has fallen off, which I have covered liberally with pruning tar. Now bark is peeling off sections of the tree, and I think it is leaning more and more each month. I am careful not to over fertilize and cause it to grow too quickly. Would you suggest I continue to use pruning tar to cover the areas bark is shedding? Should I have the tree topped/trimed to remove some of its top-heavy weight? I could attach a few pictures, if they would help describe my problem.
Thanks for yout time,
Greg

Latest posts

Back