Saw Binding ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Probst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Echo saw that I put a new bar chain and sprocket on. If I cut a small limb it does OK but if I cut a 20 inch log it bogs down and the bar wedges . I can let go of the saw and it won't fall out of the log and takes some pulling to get it out. The bar and chain came as a set so I think it should match? I have a stihl MS 440 ,a stihl 038 ,a Husky with a 36 inch bar ,a 250, a couple echo topping saws and a couple Jonsereds , I use a friends 066 with a 25 inch bar plus his 044 and 460 and I don't have the binding problems . Plus I didn't have a problem with this saw until I put on the new Sprocket, bar and chain. I hate to throw away the bar and chain because the paint isn't even worn , I may try a different chain maybe they sent one with a narrower kerf.

Sounds like the kerf might be closing up on the bar a bit and pinching it as you get lower in the log. Perhaps slip a plastic felling wedge into the kerf as your cutting down through to prevent the kerf from closing on the bar.

Look at some of the material in a stihl owners manual in regards to how to use a saw. It will give you some good information on what kind of pressures are on the saw as you make different cuts.

I put another chain on the saw and it cuts fantastic. The bar and chain came as a combo but they must have included the wrong chain. The new chain I put on came from a local dealer . I have never had an issue ordering bar and chain combos on line before maybe it was a monday morning and the person packaging the combo wasn't quite awake yet?

Latest posts

Back