saw bogs down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My saw really bogs down when put to some wood.
At idel it is fine, even at full throttle it runs great but try to cut with it and it is over. I mean it barely cuts. I tried a sharpening and a brand new chain.
The air filter is clean and i even tried it with no filter.
I just got the saw back from sears after they replaced the piston and cylinder(so they said, I think they honed the cylinder).
What do you guys think? I hope the carb needs an adjustment, because I lost my compression guages and I cant take this dog back to sears for them to test because they take so long.Any advice, on carb adjustments would be great.
Oh it is a red 42 cc crapsman/wildthing that you may have read about in my past posts.

I'd be sure to remove and disassemble the muffler to check for carbon build-up or other obstruction. I ran into a similar situation on a cheapie Poulan that came into my shop last year.

Make sure the fuel is fresh

My 488 was doing the same thing as your saw and I took it to the shop. He said the problem was bad fuel even though I had only had the fuel for a couple of months. I did buy supreme fuel from the mini mart and am now thinking it had probably been in their tank for a long time. If the muffler is not the problem, try some fresh fuel. It worked for me.

:blob2: Hello all,
Fuel is good, muffler is good, fuel filter is good and bar is good:)
I am not sure how to adjust the carb as far as leanibg or richening the mix. I can adjust idle but that's not important.
Anyone who can help with the needed adjustments please do. Thanks

Go to the Jet marked HS or H turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise to ricken it up, try the saw again if it isimproved it was too lean. If it is not try another 1/4 turn if it is still not better or gets worse turn it back to where you started.

Always try richer first as going leaner could cause dammage, search the site on carb adjustment and tunning.

I agree with Timberwolf; when it bogs down in the cut at my elevation of 5000+ then its almost always too lean on the H or High Speed jet. Tweak it CC a 1/4 turn and see what happens? If it gets better, then go another 1/4 turn CC, etc. If it should get worse, then go C to the right etc. etc. And continue to do this until its running good in the cut. No need to become an expert on tuning a carb, if its just a matter of tweaking the H speed jet IMHO.:)

Latest posts

Back