Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are such a thing as low profile .325 chain, but the RS is certainly not among them.
The low profile .325 that I know of are the 30-series Oregon LG and SL, but there may be others.

I've been cutting a lot of dead oak lately and wanted to try the oregon 75dp semi chisel for it's longer stay sharp ability. After the 4th sharpening it didn't want to cut and was making powder even though the cutters were sharp. The rakers had never been touched. I dropped them to .030 which happened to be the same height as the bumpers. After filing a few more by hand down to the height of the bumper I decided it would be a lot faster to take my air grinder and make the rakers match the contour of the bumpers. What a difference! The chain now has a bite that feels like a good chisel chain and throws nice size chips. My C72 with 21" bar and 8 T sprocket has no problem pulling it through the dead 20" oak. It's still a much smoother running chain even with the rakers at .030 than the 404 chisel i used for many years. Since they didn't know what "anti-vibe" was when they made the C72 the smoother running chain reduces the vibrations at the handles which reduces fatigue.
Question: Right now the rakers are even with the bumpers. In the future I may need to take both the rakers and the bumpers down to get .025-.030 depth. Any problem with filing the bumpers?

ol'homey said:
.. Any problem with filing the bumpers?
I have never used the DP, but I use LP and VP chain with the same kind of "bumper" (it isn't the infamous bumper tie straps, just a little ramp on the driver directly in front of the cutter).

Filing the ramp down happens as a part of the regular raker filing, no problem at all. :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back