Saw Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i sure like the yellow 3/8 .063 rsc ,my saw cuts fast and has a nice big saw chip rooster tail when using it:D

Full Chisel in Split Wood?

For firewood I run 3/8 .050 in full chisel. For milling I run 3/8 and 404 .063 semi chisel. I guess you might want to size your chain to your saw. What chains and bar and saw combos are you running? Might help to know what kind of wood your cutting also.
What happens when your full chisel chain gets into a vertical split?

I block ponderosa deadfall for firewood, it often splits vertically when it falls, perhaps as long as 20-feet. When my saw gets into the split it jumps, makes me nervous. I'm using stock OEM safety chain on my Husky 455. Once the safety brake locked. Seems full chisel would be even more active in the split?

We have been together 11yrs, I go cut wood to get away from her..lol Hell I do anything to get away from her..
And then there's all that post cutting maintenance out in the shop. Followed by the pre cutting maintnenace, then cutting,,,:msp_smile:

I think you are referring to the rakers in which case the rounded over one is a safety chain and the straight one is regular chain.

That sounds like the Oregon Vanguard "safety chain", that also are sold by Dolmar and Husky. They cut quite well in regular cross-cutting, but many have trouble with filing the rakers properly.

I think it would be helpful if they actually put some where on the chain what size it is..tooth count , pitch , gauge. etc. some chains have #s on the drive links that seem to me dont have any correlation with the chain itself..It would be nice to just look at it and see .50 3/8 72 or something like that.. heck throw an RC , or FC ,or SC , or SSC etc.

Stihl chain ID

I think it would be helpful if they actually put some where on the chain what size it is..tooth count , pitch , gauge. etc. some chains have #s on the drive links that seem to me dont have any correlation with the chain itself..It would be nice to just look at it and see .50 3/8 72 or something like that.. heck throw an RC , or FC ,or SC , or SSC etc.

The only # on Stihl chain is on the drive link.It identifies the gauge I.E. 1= .043, 3= .050, 5= .058, 6= .063, and 0=.080 (harvester chain). Use calipers to measure the distance of the drive link pin from one to the next to detemine the pitch. Cutter shape ID comes w/ exp. Full skip/ half skip should be obvious. If it is new, safety chain (low kick-back), it has a green link, while the pro chain has yellow. This goes for Stihl bars as well. Pick up a Stihl catalog at your dealer, it will help you a lot in identifying chain .

The only # on Stihl chain is on the drive link.It identifies the gauge I.E. 1= .043, 3= .050, 5= .058, 6= .063, and 0=.080 (harvester chain). Use calipers to measure the distance of the drive link pin from one to the next to detemine the pitch. Cutter shape ID comes w/ exp. Full skip/ half skip should be obvious. If it is new, safety chain (low kick-back), it has a green link, while the pro chain has yellow. This goes for Stihl bars as well. Pick up a Stihl catalog at your dealer, it will help you a lot in identifying chain .

I like simplicity I want the manufacture to do it for me..lol.

[..lol try as she might I'm not washing any dishes..lol
jimmy[/QUOTE

Take care of her, Jimmy.

I like a nice sharp semi-chisel full house chain for cutting maple and douglas fir.

Joe

Back