Saw for Hire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a guy once who talked to me like that..........once.
I had a boss that liked to talk that way and one day as he was walking by the tree I was taking down I accidentally dropped a large piece of wood like 2 feet from his head and he shouted up to me "wtf are you doing, you could have killed me" to which I replied "I know, I just wanted you to see how easy it'd be to get away with it" .................

I had a boss that liked to talk that way and one day as he was walking by the tree I was taking down I accidentally dropped a large piece of wood like 2 feet from his head and he shouted up to me "wtf are you doing, you could have killed me" to which I replied "I know, I just wanted you to see how easy it'd be to get away with it" .................

yeah...the guy has a huge ego problem. Guys with ego problems like that should NOT be leaders in dangerous jobs. I'm a pilot....and they used to have a saying that is very true and is true for other potentially dangerous jobs.
"there are old pilots...and there are bold pilots.....but there are no old bold pilots"

Robb

I used to work for this old guy when I was in my 20's that cussed and rode me all day every day. I took it because he actually knew what he was doing and was teaching me how to do aerial lifts with his crane. I wanted to learn how to do it so I took his shiot. He was hilarious sometimes though, He was always ducking under the outrigger and busting his forehead on it. I bet I saw him do it 6 times in a day before. Onetime he had me taking a tree out right next to a house. I was bombing it out in the front yard and went to drop about a third of the spar and told him he was going to need another hand to help him pull it over. He told me that I was full of Shiot and he could handle it. I said OK and started making my cut. When my saw started to get pinched he finally believed me and called another hand over to help him. The tree still had a few dead limbs in the top and when it hit the ground they exploded. Most didn't go too far but one limb the size of a Louisville Slugger went end over end right for my boss. I thought he saw it because he turned to walk in the opposite direction. I don't know what made him do it but no quicker than he turned to move he turned right back around and the limb hit him right in the head Knocking his Oakley sunglasses off his head. He had been riding me pretty hard that day and I couldn't help giggling myself silly in the tree. He was a pretty salty old fugger though, when I got out of the tree and asked him if he was OK he said sure "just knocked a little bark off of me" :dizzy: . He was a crotchety old guy but I learned a lot from him. He was in his 60's and had been in trees for over 40 years. Too bad he fried himself when he got his cable in the lines. I kinda miss the old fugger.

Gerome is the real star of the show. It's too bad you don't see much of the rest of the crew aside from Captain Doucheface screaming at them constantly, they're probably not bad workers but it seems they never get a chance.

The one girl is cute, I wonder if she is single and would put up with a dude with a weight bench and chainsaws in his kitchen?

TCIA and ISA call on TLC Network to Pull “Saw for Hire” Program Off the Air

January 23, 2009

Mr. David M. Zaslav
President and CEO
Discovery Communications
One Discovery Place Silver Spring, MD 20910

Dear Mr. Zaslav:

I would like to call your attention to a dangerous and unprofessional depiction of commercial tree care operations in the TLC program “Saw for Hire.”

Tree care is one of the five most hazardous professions in the country, according to independent research. Fatalities are all too common, and serious injuries occur daily. To advance safety, respected arborists are hard at work with associations, professional societies, certification organizations and government at all levels to reduce the accident and fatality rates among workers in the trees. Your program undermines all of those efforts, and it defames thousands of professional arborists in the U.S. who will not compromise their ethics, their integrity and the very safety of themselves and their co-workers for the sake of sensationalism.

Commercial arboriculture is subject to a variety of Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards. Judging from your program and the footage available at http://nosakraw.com, the arborists at Nosak Tree Service are either unaware of, or choose to ignore, these safety requirements.

The Tree Care Industry Association represents approximately 2,000 businesses engaged in commercial tree care in the United States. Since 1938, the association has worked to promote and uphold the highest standards of safe and professional conduct, including creating a Certified Treecare Safety Professional program and accrediting tree care companies so consumers know how to hire qualified companies.

In addition, the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) represents over 30,000 professional and Certified Arborists around the world. Founded in 1924, ISA promotes the professional practice of arboriculture including administering the Certified Arborist credential program. Through its position as the Secretariat of the ANSI Accredited Standards Committee Z-133 Safety Standards for Arboricultural Practices, ISA also works to promote high safety standards within the industry.

Our organizations are concerned that “Saw for Hire” glorifies unsafe and otherwise unprofessional conduct that, if used as an example in the field, quite simply puts lives at risk – both arborists and the consumers who hire them. The violations are numerous and egregious. They are not simply small, technical violations of industry safety practices but life-threatening acts that repeatedly and consistently show a lack of knowledge of the basics of safe tree care operations.

Discovery Communications claims it is committed to managing its business activities in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and to ensuring honest and ethical behavior by its directors, officers, employees and contingent workers. “Saw for Hire” is a constant, ongoing violation of state, federal and industry professional standards and safety practices. In broadcasting this program, your network is complicit in the promotion of the unprofessional and unsafe practices of this company – practices that lead to injuries and fatalities in the tree care industry on a weekly basis.

Discovery Communications cannot be expected to know all of the safety regulations and best practices requirements that govern commercial arboriculture. Now that you have been made aware of the critically dangerous nature of the broadcast by your network, however, we ask that this program be taken off the air immediately for the benefit of consumers and arborists.

The tree care industry is ranked among the most dangerous professions in the United States. Employees in the tree care industry are often exposed to extreme hazards that must be met with an equally extreme commitment to safety. There are thousands of professional, safe and legally compliant tree care companies in the United States that could provide safe and professional examples of commercial arboriculture. It is in the spirit of cooperation, not confrontation, that we ask for your timely response.

Respectfully,

Cynthia Mills, CAE, CMC Jim Skiera, CAE
President & CEO Executive Director
Tree Care Industry Association International Society of Arboriculture

this was posted right on the saw for hire website

Got to watch the 3rd and 4th shows of this ....whatever you call it disaster last night.Now I've never done climbing type removal but this guys is an IDIOT!My wife usually puts up with my watching logging shows but after this one she said i'd have to watch it on my own,even she can't stand the little jerk.He has good people good equipment,he just needs a major attitude adjustment.Unbelievable:dizzy:
Russ

My wife says

"TCIA and ISA call on TLC Network to Pull “Saw for Hire” Program Off the Air."

===========

My wife says that 'Saw for Hire' makes arborists look worse than the loggers on 'AxMen'.

That is an accomplishment.

In a related area, the owner is planning to fall a tree on a house that he will be in.
Stay tuned!
I can't picture this guy showing up at an arborist convention and surviving.

Last edited:
"TCIA and ISA call on TLC Network to Pull “Saw for Hire” Program Off the Air."

===========

My wife says that 'Saw for Hire' makes arborists look worse than the loggers on 'AxMen'.

That is an accomplishment.

In a related area, the owner is planning to fall a tree on a house that he will be in.
Stay tuned!
I can't picture this guy showing up at an arborist convention and surviving.
Yeah I had read about him trying to get his crew to fell a tree on a house that he is in......and they beg him not to do it......That guy just doesn't make any sense at all. What a pinhead........Robb

so some jealous hater spent no telling how much effort to get a letter sent to TLC just because their youtube wannabe TV show didn't get picked up by TLC and Nosak's did, what a shame. I'll bet the show stays................

I've said if before and I'll say it again, the guys crying are just a bunch of haters that are jealous they didn't get picked up by TLC................HATERS....:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back