Saw noise and muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I don't get that aggressive with my mods. I just gut them and open up the exit hole a bit more. I've seen the pics online where people cut huge holes into the muffler that's got to be loud. I can't imagine it adds much more performance just noise.
From my limited experience the placement of outlet makes a huge difference too. My 550 is much quieter with a top exit compared to the same saw with a big hole out the front.

Nick @mortalitool did a couple nice muffler mods for my other saws with a 1/2" pipe outlet brazed in that could be run without muffs. Single outlet for the smaller saws and double for the larger one.

Mustang71

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yea all mine are loud but not to loud. I always thought on a 2 stroke you needed that expansion chamber in the exhaust. That's how it was when I was a kid with atvs and dirt bikes. The straight through design I don't think does much but idk.

Sportfury70

Sportfury70

ArboristSite Operative
I can tell you my cs590 is loud as #### with the MM. Huge difference over stock, but worth it as it'll (barely) pull a 24" now. Asked my neighbors if it's irritating, they said they like seeing me out and taking care of my property, so no worries.

astnmacgto

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
All my saws breath better than they ever did, my mac 10 series saws are still louder than my muff modded ones.

My neighbors know what I do and they don't care because they know where to go when they need help.

I did a louvered muff mod on my Poulan 365 today, the muffler goes straight through and so I louvered it in the front to where the exhaust flows straight out of it at an angle, it was running a very liberal and loud mod before and this actually is a little quieter and it had to be retuned to give more fuel, I was very happy

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can tell you my cs590 is loud as #### with the MM. Huge difference over stock, but worth it as it'll (barely) pull a 24" now. Asked my neighbors if it's irritating, they said they like seeing me out and taking care of my property, so no worries.
My ported 590 has a serious pop more like a crack at idle. Its loud but not stupid loud like when guys just cut the tube out. Still won't run it in town again.

bang

ArboristSite Operative
There are no houses within a half mile of me and everyone within earshot runs a chainsaw. My loudest saw is a stock Homelite sxl but the most annoying to my ears (i don't use ear protection,...yes I know and I'm going to start) is a saw with the baffle removed but a stock cover. It's not excessively loud, just leaves my ears ringing a little.