Saw paracitic wasps in action.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
I walked over to a red oak to verify ID of gypsy moth caterpillar. There were two little wasps going to town in the cat. with ovipositors.

I was freaking out in a "wow, cool!' sort of way; having to call everyone to look. I got out the cell phone to get a picture, but everything was too small and dark to get a good shot.

For some that may not know, the wasp will lay eggs inside the caterpillar which then, through time, switch to larvae about the size of rice. They "swim" around in the caterpillar only eating on the blood and other non-vital parts to not kill their host. When the larvae are ready, they literally chew/cut their way out the caterpillar with their special grown teeth. While doing this, they produce a chemical that paralizes their prey.

Another crazy thing is that the larvae leaving the caterpillar doesn't kill it, but it will recover to then spin a cocoon over the larvae that just came out of it's body, which protects them. The 'pillar will then look over the cocoon, thus protecting them, until it dies.

Interesting sight to see John. That'll teach yah not to have your camera with.
icon12.gif

StihlRockin'

For some that may not know, the wasp will lay eggs inside the caterpillar which then, through time, switch to larvae about the size of rice. They "swim" around in the caterpillar only eating on the blood and other non-vital parts to not kill their host. When the larvae are ready, they literally chew/cut their way out the caterpillar with their special grown teeth. While doing this, they produce a chemical that paralizes their prey.

Another crazy thing is that the larvae leaving the caterpillar doesn't kill it, but it will recover to then spin a cocoon over the larvae that just came out of it's body, which protects them. The 'pillar will then look over the cocoon, thus protecting them, until it dies.

Interesting sight to see John. That'll teach yah not to have your camera with.
icon12.gif

StihlRockin'

Please provide a citation for the above. I'd like to read up on this. I never heard of a caterpillar that spins a cocoon around the emerging larvae, since as best I recall, the female wasp injects it with virus-like particles, along with its eggs, that keeps the caterpillar from ever pupating. Cocoon making goes along with pupating, as it precedes it. There is a caterpillar that survives the larval emergence and after the larvae spin their own cocoons, it guards them with head-butting behavior until it dies. Very strange.

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketsc...s_caterpillars_into_headbanging_bodyguard.php

Please provide a citation for the above. I'd like to read up on this. I never heard of a caterpillar that spins a cocoon around the emerging larvae,...Very strange.

Ok, yes sir. Just give me some time to get you the foot notes on that when I get some time. Can't recall off the top of my head, but it's interesting stuff for sure.

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

I watched a really cool spider vs wasp tussle in the corner of some big butress roots at the base of a big oak tree while taking a break years ago. The spider was fending him off with all he had. Got to watch them for at least 5 minutes before I had to go back to work. It was really interesting. Dont know who won. I also watched a battle between a bald-faced hornet and a yellow jacket one time. The hornet ate everything but the yellow jackets head despite seemingly being stung many times. I love to watch little dramas like that.

Bald faced Hornets are viscious! I was stung 3 times by them yesterday. Feels like a hot pin being jammed into you.

Almost daily I see paper and various wasp being predatory in the vegetable garden. I especially like seeing wasp working the heads of cauliflower and broccoli....getting imported cabbage caterpillars.

I have a paper nest on a dormer, that does not bother us. Today I saw them going after aphids on my wife's pleached hibiscus.

Speaking of garden's I found a monster zucchini today while weeding. How did that thing get away from me?

So I searched for recipe mature-zucchini and got a good basic stuffed squash recipe that I could modify to what was in the fridge.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Zucchini-2/Detail.aspx

this calls for 3 zuc's but mine was 2 ft long and over 5 inches wide. It took 2 casserole dishes. The only change I would make is to use sausage and brown it.

I also put cilantro, black olives, Italian season mix, basil, and used Monchego cheese.

Sunrise Guy,

Having read and studied thousands of topics, pages, eBooks, videos, books, movies and every other conceivable thing capable of gaining knowledge from, I don't recall the specific nature of where I learned what you asked, but I did find some info about it I think you'll find interesting. It does talk about caterpillars being "controlled" by wasps that laid the eggs, etc. It looks interesting enough...

See link below:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14053-zombie-caterpillars-controlled-by-voodoo-wasps.html

StihlRockin'

Sunrise Guy,

Having read and studied thousands of topics, pages, eBooks, videos, books, movies and every other conceivable thing capable of gaining knowledge from, I don't recall the specific nature of where I learned what you asked, but I did find some info about it I think you'll find interesting. It does talk about caterpillars being "controlled" by wasps that laid the eggs, etc. It looks interesting enough...

See link below:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14053-zombie-caterpillars-controlled-by-voodoo-wasps.html

StihlRockin'

Yeah, that's the same subject I linked to in my post. I was just curious about what you said concerning the caterpillar forming a cocoon around the wasp larvae since they can do that themselves, and the caterpillar is prevented from forming a cocoon by the original injections from the mother wasp. Anyway--I know facts can get jumbled when one does a great deal of reading up on this and that, as we do. Thanks for the interesting post.

BTW, as a New Scientist subscriber for the last twenty years, or so, I highly recommend it to everyone here who wants to keep up on new developments in all fields of science. Pricey, but well worth it.

Last edited:
Took this about April. Sorry but I know almost nothing about the combatants except that the wasp kicked the spiders ass big time. The wasp then dragged the spider over 20 metres before I lost track of them.

attachment.php

The spiders abdomen was about the 25mm long, thats 1 inch to you non metric folk.

Still on topic I was looking at a clients wall today and she said, "thats a womens face" to which I replied, "weird name for a spider". She was looking at a relief carving whilst I was checking out the wildlife. Guess tree guys have a different view of what is creepy hunh?!

Back