Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check you local home depot rental departments and see if they are selling any of their used Dolmar 6401's. They should cost you less than 250.

I would not buy a saw from Ebay unless there was a long enough return period so you could have the saw checked out.

You might also visit your local dealers and speak with them about buying a used saw and having them look it over. They might have an alternative to buying new.

Establishing a good relationship with a local dealer/repair shop will be important.

As was mentioned, there are some good deals in the AS classifieds, such as a Husky 359, a couple of MS361s, etc.

Last point I would make, saws, like golf, hunting or most other activities which require a specialized tool, the cost of the tool ends up being a fraction of the total cost to play. So, it's almost always the smart decision to buy the best tool you can afford, even if that means waiting and saving up a little extra $$$ to buy a quality tool.

Don't forget your safety gear!

Happy shopping

i gota say from the size wood you described and 026 260 would do the jump realy well and be very light .

I own a 455 rancher and am very pleased with its performance.Its a heavier saw than what I use to run. Poulan 18" wildthing so I can feel it in my back when cutting firewood for extended periods of time. Its been a all around use saw for me for past 6 months but soon I will be getting a smaller saw for limbing and what not (CAD)..lol.. my question is this. is the rancher you are looking at a refurbished model ?? for 250 dollars new that is cheap. I paid lil over 400 on mine and it was on sale at time.. and checked other stores and they also were listed over 400 dollars..

I own a 455 rancher and am very pleased with its performance.Its a heavier saw than what I use to run. Poulan 18" wildthing so I can feel it in my back when cutting firewood for extended periods of time. Its been a all around use saw for me for past 6 months but soon I will be getting a smaller saw for limbing and what not (CAD)..lol.. my question is this. is the rancher you are looking at a refurbished model ?? for 250 dollars new that is cheap. I paid lil over 400 on mine and it was on sale at time.. and checked other stores and they also were listed over 400 dollars..

+1 on that. $250 is a very decent price for a refurbished 455 and a no where near the retail price for a new 455. i think the local atwoods gets about $415 for one in a box--+tax!

i second the 455 being up to the job as long your just going to be thinning and cleaning up 4.5 acres of moderate sized pine mostly. a good log cutting saw wouldn't even be fully broken in after clear-cutting 4.5 acres. a farm and ranch saw should be able to cut that much and have a few years left one would hope.

i have a 455 that i got in sort of a horse-trade deal. it is a refurbished unit. i didn't buy it but the price was still on the box it shipped in/ $300 even.

i have run it some. it has reasonable power, seems reliable--looks new. came with a crappy chain on it. certainly not my favorite saw--but not the bottom of my list either.:greenchainsaw:

You said mountain land - I assume this means slopes and slogging through terrain. You will notice the extra weight on th 359 and 372.

The kind of trees you are working will respond well to a 50cc saw with an 18" bar - pick your religion (Husky/Stihl/Dolmar) and dive in.

I recommend a pro saw though - it will be worht the extra $$ later.

While you are getting a loan, spring for the 2 saw plan, don't get stuck cutting with a breakdown. Add a 70cc (372 is the one) for the odd occasion you run into something big and as a backup to the 50cc go-to saw.

When going for the 2 saw plan it would be best to match chain pitch (and groove width) so that you can just buy it in bulk and make loops as you need them. I hate having to buy bulk for 2 different pitches.

roflmfao!! Your suggestion is to buy a pro 50cc saw for say 4-$500 and then spend another 7-$800 on a pro backup saw:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I checked out the Rancher and it is very heavy so unless the deal is too good I will look at the others. Does anyone have any experience with the Dolmar 5100s, the specs are very good. Light weight and good power, how is the reliability and is it pro grade?

5100 is a great saw, but do yourself a favor and check the area Home Depots for a 'Kita 6401 off rental for $250. They're a Dolmar in Makita colors. I am looking for one around here myself.

Otherwise pick the 026/260.

If you're looking new, 5100 or 346xpne.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I checked out the Rancher and it is very heavy so unless the deal is too good I will look at the others. Does anyone have any experience with the Dolmar 5100s, the specs are very good. Light weight and good power, how is the reliability and is it pro grade?

When I went shopping, if my local Dolmar dealers would have been as friendly and my Stihl dealers, I might have ended up with a 5100 instead of the MS361.

It's good to have options and may the best dealer/brand win.

I am kind of like you in your situation 13 years ago and I bought an 026 and an 18" bar. I have been able to cut down any tree I have wanted to with proper planing even over 24" in diameter. This saw sings along through any tree I have placed in its way. I am not a pro but I use it often for myself, family and friends who get themselves in trouble. I wanted a pro grade saw that I could learn to work and would be something that I would not grow out of as my skills increased.

roflmfao!! Your suggestion is to buy a pro 50cc saw for say 4-$500 and then spend another 7-$800 on a pro backup saw:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Look, just trying to help a brother out :) Note my other comment that "as long as he is getting a loan" he might as well do it. I figure that the best way to get started is to dive in headfirst and take out a second mortgage....its gonna happen eventually anyway.

Having a good explanation for your SO is really important too - "backup saw" sounds better than "feeding my lust for power" saw.

By the time I figured it out for myself we had already refinanced and couldn't get another loan :buttkick:

The reality is that I don't automatically reach for the 372 or 385 when I am working pine and smaller softwood, the 350 cuts adequately and the lighter saw is easier on my back so I really do prefer it for that kind of work.

Look, just trying to help a brother out :) Note my other comment that "as long as he is getting a loan" he might as well do it. I figure that the best way to get started is to dive in headfirst and take out a second mortgage....its gonna happen eventually anyway.

Having a good explanation for your SO is really important too - "backup saw" sounds better than "feeding my lust for power" saw.

By the time I figured it out for myself we had already refinanced and couldn't get another loan :buttkick:

The reality is that I don't automatically reach for the 372 or 385 when I am working pine and smaller softwood, the 350 cuts adequately and the lighter saw is easier on my back so I really do prefer it for that kind of work.

hey I'm totally with ya as I started with the 435 and then got the 365 and now I'm on the 346/372 program. I was laughing at the fact that HE isn't there yet and was probly going :jawdrop:wtf this guys off his rocker:jester:

hey I'm totally with ya as I started with the 435 and then got the 365 and now I'm on the 346/372 program. I was laughing at the fact that HE isn't there yet and was probly going :jawdrop:wtf this guys off his rocker:jester:

Gotcha :)

I didn't realize how odd it sounded until you pointed it out.

Looking at the way I do things now I realize that many of my choices and habits seem a little crazy until I think through the long journey to get where I am. I have lost count of the number of times I have made fun of an "old hack", only to find a few years later that whatever he was doing wasn't as crazy as it looked back when I was inexperienced. I find this to be true in my engineering work as much as in tree work.

I found a MS441 at a rental shop for $350 with a new chain. They said it is an 08 with very few rentals and they would run a compression test and pull the muffler so I could see the piston. What do you guys think of this deal? Seems like a fairly big saw but if it is a great deal I will check it out.

I found a MS441 at a rental shop for $350 with a new chain. They said it is an 08 with very few rentals and they would run a compression test and pull the muffler so I could see the piston. What do you guys think of this deal? Seems like a fairly big saw but if it is a great deal I will check it out.

buy, buy, buy

Now your talking a saw with value. If it checks out, buy it quickly.

it is a damn good saw! for $350 it is a damn good deal. if it passes compression test it would be a 'GO" and forget about that other #### we suggested!

that was more "buy the 455 if you can't find or afford anything else."

the 441 is a real saw!

and on a side note if you get the 441 for $350 and run it a year without a tree falling on it or dry gassing it or otherwise messing it up bad. you can sell the stihl 441 and get all or at least most of your money back.--try that with the dime store box saw!!

Last edited:
Heck yeah!

Heck of a deal on a great saw that could serve well as your one and only. It may be a bit heavy for all-day work and limbing, but it will certainly get the job done. And you can always get a smaller, lighter saw later if this one strains
your back too much. Buy it, get some protective gear, and go cut!

Olyeller

After all the help and great suggestions, I pulled the trigger on an 08 MS441 from a local rental company. It had a brand new chain that was only the 4th one on the saw. I has a good maintenance history and was only out for 48 days. I paid $375.00 out the door with a new spare chain and plug/multi tool. The piston looked good, it started easily and we got the compression to read about 130psi (it looked like it might come up more but the mechanic wasn't turning it over too hard). How did I do?

After all the help and great suggestions, I pulled the trigger on an 08 MS441 from a local rental company. It had a brand new chain that was only the 4th one on the saw. I has a good maintenance history and was only out for 48 days. I paid $375.00 out the door with a new spare chain and plug/multi tool. The piston looked good, it started easily and we got the compression to read about 130psi (it looked like it might come up more but the mechanic wasn't turning it over too hard). How did I do?

Congrats on a REAL saw. :clap:

Now post some pics of it in action.

Latest posts

Back