Saw run with no oil..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll go the hone/new piston route. No sense putting the money in it for a new cylinder. I'd just as soon get a new saw.

And yes, I should have gotten the 361 or 036 as it was known then.. didn't know at the time I'd be moving into the woods and have a wood stove where I'd be cutting much more wood. I stick to the pro-line these days. Although I'll be honest with you.. I work the husky rancher 55 more than any of my other saws and despite the fact that it's beat to death it still runs and cuts great.. I guess that's why I use it so much.. cause it has the most hours on it.. closer to a natural death. Then I go and blow the almost new 039 and the Husky keeps on goin and goin and goin.

Those pictures are great.. nice thread.. just the reason I've been visiting this site for some time. Shoulda joined long ago!

jibber

q tip and muriatic acid has saved lots of cylinders. apply w/ tip, let soak couple minutes, rub w/ tip. repeat til aluminum is gone. keep it off unnecessary parts. carefully install (dont twist) new piston n rings.
wal-la. good to go. but u wil need a shop manual for a guide. been there done that.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

want to have a blast when u r finished?
loosely roll aluminum foil into 4-5 marble size balls and insert into empty plastic pop bottle and add an ounce of acid then screw on cap and shake. u can feel the heat n pressure building. when it gets tite, toss it aside!!!!!

2 liters really make a kaboom!!!!

q tip and muriatic acid has saved lots of cylinders. apply w/ tip, let soak couple minutes, rub w/ tip. repeat til aluminum is gone. keep it off unnecessary parts. carefully install (dont twist) new piston n rings.
wal-la. good to go. but u wil need a shop manual for a guide. been there done that.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

loosely roll aluminum foil into 4-5 marble size balls and insert into empty plastic pop bottle and add an ounce of acid then screw on cap and shake. u can feel the heat n pressure building. when it gets tite, toss it aside!!!!!

yup, he's from Kentucky.

duno. havent tried it on stumps

depends on the size i guess!!!!!!

cheap entertainment though :hmm3grin2orange:

Reminds me of college. After the kegger and coney dogs, we'd put on Scarface.
We'd set off a few 2 liter grenades to get the rent-a-cops to come to the dorms. When they'd get to the building, we'd throw flourescent light bulbs out the windows at their jeeps.... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I recently bought an 066 that was locked up to the point I almost could not get the jug off. Basically the piston had welded itself to the bore. Big junks of aluminum were stuck to the cyl wall and appeared to have major scoring. Since the BB Baily stuff is not available I went to the local Stihl dealer to order a top end. After hearing the price of $340 for the kit and $155 for only the piston I got real serious about trying to save the jug. There are many threads on the subject, but I used a flapper wheel from a head porting kit with wd40 as a lube. In less than an hour of total time I had a jug that even the Stihl service guy said looked very good. Be carefull around the ports though, as the are chamfered with exposed aluminum. I cut mine a little but its ok. In summary I would work on it a little and not just assume its trash.

On Stihl prices. I recently had a custom set of JE racing pistons made for a SB Ford stroker. Total price was much less than TWO off the shelf, cast Stihl pistons. I'm guessing that you could buy BMW or Mercedes pistons for less, might be wrong though. How much in sales are they loosing to the aftermarket? I'm guessing everyone in their supply chain could still make nice money at lower prices. They probably think they are pushing sales to new saws, but how many ppl are like me and mentally record this as another reason not to buy a new Stihl saw?

EXACTLY the reason i will not buy a Stihl. Are you listening Stihl? your are losing a customer, although i'm sure you dont care. Again, another reason i wont buy your saws.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I just re-read my post where I compared the prices of Stihl pistons vs some JE's. Small bourban induced error that night. Price of 3 Stihl pistons would be pretty close. Point is forged, CNC machined top, bottom, sides, actually to the point of looking like jewlery,,,, cheaper than the OEM piston in a CHAINSAW.

Market

I am not trying to defend Stihls parts prices, 'cause they are very high, but that is an indirect comparison to match V8 pistons to a Chainsaw piston. If JE can use the same forging blank for 10 or 12 different pistons, Then do the CNC machining on a horizontal machining center with 20 pistons mounted on a tombstone, with a total machine time of ten or twelve minutes per part, then it is easy to make cheap pistons. JE is in a competitive market, and they make some of the finest pistons you can buy, at a great price. OEM parts are always higher than the comparative cost of the part in the finished product. Motorcycles are the same way. Go price a rear shock for a modern sportbike, its over $1000. The same money will buy you an Ohlins replacement that is a much higher quality piece. I wish that OEM parts prices were less, but they are not, and that is what drives the aftermarket. As soon as somebody can make money selling 039/MS390 pistons, they will.

I went to the Stihl dealer fully expecting to take it dry to the tune of $75 for something knocked of a die cast machine, then spend a little time on a CNC for the rings and pin bores, but $155? Something probably knocked out in batches of a 1,000!?! I'm sure JE has blank forgings used for many engines of similar bore and they have their process pretty efficient, but to do a custom compression height, cc dish, skirt length/profile and ring package, I was impressed with the price. I think they were about 60 bucks ea and at least 2 ppl made money on them. Stihl might be smart, I'm sure they have some brilliant ppl that figure how to maximize total revenue and margin but I'm sure Mahle doesn't have $5 in these (less overhead) and Stihl is getting them for less than 15 maybe closer to 10. (Pistons only) You can buy much more sophisticated Mahle racing/auto pistions for 1/2 the price.

a bad day

a year ago a friend of mine was in the firewood biz he left his helper alone 2 cut up wood while he was off do'n other things-he filled a 7900 with strt gas-fried it-then another 7900-then a 112-then a 120-then a stihl farm boss-all this in less than 2 hrs on the job

Back when I was about 14 I had an old yamaha dt100. I picked it up for $25 and ran the heck out of it for two weeks. I decided to disassemble the carb one day when I noticed the hose for the oil injection was not connected. I hooked it up and it ran 10 times better. I asked the previous owner how long he ran the bike and he said for about 2 months. I still cant believe it ran as long as it did with no 2stroke oil.

a year ago a friend of mine was in the firewood biz he left his helper alone 2 cut up wood while he was off do'n other things-he filled a 7900 with strt gas-fried it-then another 7900-then a 112-then a 120-then a stihl farm boss-all this in less than 2 hrs on the job

What did your friend do with all those dead saws?
and what did your friend to with that dead body?:blob2: :blob2:

re

well Im try'n to work out a deal with him now -it was such a hit he gav up on the wood biz-the guy had ben working for him for sevral years he got back and there sat all those saws a gas can, bar lube and an unopened case of 2stroke oil-all on the tailgate of the trk-its really unbelevable

Well, I got it on the bench and pulled the muffler. It IS scored pretty bad both the piston and cylinder walls. Guess it's off to the shop for some expensive work.

Thanks for the advice!

If it runs and cuts well, then don't take it into the shop. Just use it.

If it runs and cuts well, then don't take it into the shop. Just use it.

That wouldn't be my choice, but to anyone his own opinion.
could be a ticking time bomb also, waiting for the right moment (some heavier use maybe) to strike, causing a lot more damage. I would tune it now.
just my 02 ct.

I have to agree with that. You may be able to save the jug now. Keep running and it will be toast. You could even ruin the crank or bearings if it gets too hot before it seizes or peices of aluminum or broken ring flakes get down in the bottom.

Latest posts

Back