Saw Testing Standards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernLA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After looking at the great Simonizer debate I have decided that better standards need to be set for testing the speed of chainsaws. While chain offers a huge difference in cutting speed, power has an effect also. In auto racing the dyno has made a huge differences for the engine builders. But, 2stroke builders are often on a much smaller budget. I am soon building a very small hotsaw now 36cc Solo 636 I know that if I video it and it's cuts fast I'll be accused of using rotten wood, if it cuts slow then it's a POS. So, I say for testing purposes we use plastic or nylon round rods with no presssure for testing purposes. Yes, it is very expensive. Nylon is just over $500 per foot at 8" diameter. But, it will always cut the same way. Much cheaper than a dyno run? We should all use a new Oregon safety chain. Huge can of worms? Fire away boys.

Four 6x6 yellow pine from the lumber yard, stacked square.

Much cheaper than nylon, no messy cleanup:bang:, approxamatly the same across the country, and about the same hardness dry as poplar.

If the cuts go too fast for timing purposes go to six stacked in two rows.

Its Um, Modular.

"no pressure"? Pressure is a very important part of the equation when it comes to cutting speed. If you can spin the chain at 100mph but can't load the motor then maybe a saw that only spins the chain at 70mph will beat it because it has more tourque and be leaned on harder.

Somehow you would have to remove the operator infuence if you want to establish the saws capability. There is still a problem with trying to use the same setup of wood, chain, sprocket, saw pressure etc., on two different saws. The torque/ horsepower of one might be favoured for that particular set up and the other handicapped; Change conditions slightly and you would have a different winner, so which one was better. After that race, put the two saws under a fixed, heavy load and see how many hundred hours continuous running till performance starts to drop. Will the fastest saw be the winner here? The same conundrum exists for chain. So many variables. That is why the arguments never end.

Alright, I'm a moron! Have spent too much time picking HOT bits of plastic out of my self and saws. Wood or a dyno is the way to go! Perhaps, GTGs are the way to go.:cool:

Hey Southernboy,

I have a feeling I know who you are. PM me if I am right. I think we have a mutual friend who could dyno that saw for you. I am going to try and run a couple saws on his dyno pretty soon.

Might even try to talk him out of it latter this year.

Fred

Standard chainsaw testing medium = Duraflame artificial logs

http://www.duraflame.com/prod_firelog01.html

You must, however, state the exact Duraflame log used:
'Xtratime' 6lb
'Easytime' 5lb
'Anytime' 3.2lb
'Natural Log'
'Crackleflame'
'Easytime Color' (festive colors)
'Open Air' (outdoor log)
'Flue Renew' (chimney maintenance log)

....so that others can judge their competing saws on the exact same medium.

(Someone should ask Duraflame if their logs can be used as a standardized testing medium for chainsaws, so that they can add that question to their FAQ's.)

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
(Someone should ask Duraflame if their logs can be used as a standardized testing medium for chainsaws, so that they can add that question to their FAQ's.)

I'll ask him the next time he is in town. My wife handles his real estate transactions in AR.

Fred

Back