Saw to Learn Rebuilding With

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking for something to rebuild, then you're partially on the right track with "enough value to be worthwhile". My opinion will probably a bit different on the model of saw though. Look for something new and common enough that parts are still readily available from OEM and aftermarket sources. Doing it this way allows you to concentrate on the saw, rather than finding obsolete parts from one or two sources.

Thanks to All

Thanks for all the great advice. I would not have contemplated anything but new but for the reading I have done here.

I love this 490. It is well balanced, feels good, and starts/runs great. I am going to give it a good deep cleaning, a little tune up, and use it just as it is for a while.

If you're looking for something to rebuild, then you're partially on the right track with "enough value to be worthwhile". My opinion will probably a bit different on the model of saw though. Look for something new and common enough that parts are still readily available from OEM and aftermarket sources. Doing it this way allows you to concentrate on the saw, rather than finding obsolete parts from one or two sources.

This seems like excellent advice. What would be a good model/make in the 70-80cc to use for this?

I would start with a toasted 026 and learn to rebuild a top end by cleaning a cylinder and replacing piston. This will most likely also require a carb overhaul and rubber goods replacement. When finished, you will have a pro saw worth 3 times what you paid. When the 70cc disease overtakes you...you will have most of the fundamental knowlege required and you could get an 044 with shot bearings and fill in the gaps !:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back