Sawdust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brmorgan
Depending on the saw kerf you are running. It sounds like you must be putting out in the neighbor hood of 400,000 to 600,000 bft per shift.
RFP is the second largest mill in the word (first largest is in Russia) it is over onemile long under one continual building. The building houses three sawmills (An older large diameter mill, a brand new high speed small log mill, and a state of the art stud mill) under the same roof is also a high speed planer mill, a particle board plant, a fiberboard plant, cogen plant, and boilers. Their veneer and plywood plants are off site.

I run a ribbon-fed chip-n-saw canter that can feed well over 20,000 9' logs in 10 hours. It runs a fixed set so no matter what size of log goes in (from 4 to 12 inches or so), the same size of cant comes out. The chip market here is so high because of all the mill shutdowns that we can actually get just as much money for the chips from oversize logs as if we milled the extra lumber. We've still done over 300,000 board feet this way only taking 3 2X4s out of every 9' log.

There was reportedly a mill in MacKenzie, a few hours north of where I live, that could do 1.5 million board feet per shift - I forget if it was Abitibi or Canfor. They're all drastically cut back there now though. The best mill in my town can do about 650,000+ at the top end in three lines which is still a lot.

I worked at a stud mill in Douglas County, when I started there they were putting out about 100,000 bft a 10 hr shift. After several upgrades, we had it putting out over 400,000 per shift. I have since retired, they are not working but every other week, and my little LT-70 is still plugging along milling logs that cost too much to ship to them. I am along one of the most traveled chip routs to the coast and the chip trucks are still running steady.

Latest posts

Back