Sawing up old RR ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRock

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have to cut up more than 30 old RR ties to make cribbing to hold up a barn. Redoing the basement wall, it's a bank barn and didn't have stock in it for several years. They tend to collapse then.
So.....buy a carbide chain or just plan on wasting several old chisel chains? Never used a carbide chain before.

Just got out of a an ER visit, then a week in IC..... sepsis even in my toes..... temp peaked at 105 for a few hours.......holy ****............

I just used an old semi chisel.
Granted, i only made 12-15 cuts but it didn't ruin even one (used) chain.
As said look over your cut areas thoroughly for metal or other foreign objects.
Hard to say what else they've been used for in their lifetime.

Aren't rr ties absolutely soaked in tar/cosmoline-like material? Feels like it would bog down a chainsaw like crazy, I'd lean towards a big circular/cutoff saw ... could probably make your marks and go halfway down, flip it and finish.

Rocks, dirt, or sand, creosote alone will dull a chain. I have built many cattle pens out of them and they play hell on a chain.Luckily the weather is cooling down and they actually cut better when it is colder outside. Buy a good semi-chisel and forget about the carbide chain. Too expensive and if you hit a nail, the cost to sharpen will outweigh all advantages .

Creosote. I've never cut a new tie but yes I imagine they'd be gummy. I've only cut old retired ties that are mostly dried out. Probably should have clarified that above.
those are the cleanest used ties I’ve ever seen! All we get here is rotten junk that they now want $25 each for. I built 2 different retaining walls with them at my house when they were about $8 each.

those are the cleanest used ties I’ve ever seen! All we get here is rotten junk that they now want $25 each for. I built 2 different retaining walls with them at my house when they were about $8 each.
See if there is a railroad maintenance crew in your area. They do tie jobs, switch replacements, etc and end up with a ton of good used ties. My buddy runs the yard for a local outfit (Delta Railroad). I got the buddy price for 2 bundles like this, $6 each. I forget what the regular sale price was but do know they will sell to the general public.

I scored a bunch of those one time. About the same condition as yours. I got truckload after truckload until I ran out of.places to stack them. I built walkways with them, retaining walls, cribbing, all kinds of stuff. Most were cut with an 029, some with a worm drive. I didn't have to sharpen as much as you might think. Buttered the cuts with creosote. No PPE with that stuff. Maybe it will kill me someday. My grandpa was convinced it killed him. Alas. Wear a dust mask in the very least.

Be careful where you cut them, the creosote will kill grass and other plants where the sawdust/chips accumulate.

No special chain is needed, but as mentioned semi-chisel would tend to hold an edge longer.

Mark
Make sure not to do this on a hot day creosote is a killer if inhaled and it’s caustic on skin

Latest posts

Back