A trip to visit the grumpy old man (yeah I picked up some saws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
So I decided to go visit an old friend, who is pretty much a grumpy hermit in his own little small engine shop.
He knows everything about saws from the 50's to the 90's, but is about as friendly as a honey badger.
I was hoping he might have a bar for my 075 project that I have been procrastinating over for a year or so now.
I spent a little while staring at all the saw stuff around the shop while he helped a lady with a chain.
1_zpsg4dbajxu.jpg

2_zpsxskgzil3.jpg

3_zpslnjxocoj.jpg

4_zpsijjjgwfx.jpg

5_zpsnsg7ditg.jpg

6_zpszo2a32lo.jpg

7_zpssfb4dnw0.jpg

9_zpsfvde4vwe.jpg

11_zpsndsozpdk.jpg

I told him what I needed as he was writing up some other order and he says sure I have that and proceeds to bring me a large engraved Homelite bar from the back. I told him I needed a Stihl bar and so he came back with my holy grail a few minutes later.
Look Closely :)

13_zps1f8yphu2.jpg

YES MY STIHL ENGRAVED BAR!!!!

So I told him I had been looking a long time and would pay whatever he asked.. He said $20, I gave him $40.

I asked him if he might have any carbs or mufflers for an 075 eh would part with. He made a face like he wanted to punch me and then said sure and walked into the back.
He brought out an 075AV and then two more trips to bring out 051AVs in boxes (only one muffler but all three carbs and they all have nice cylinders and pistons:)
Then he brings out another box and tells me it is some 038 and 036 stuff.
Another box from the back room and he says "you've probably never heard of this saw its an 044" I laughed and told him I had a dozen in my garage. He looked at me like I had offended him and went back to the back room again. He comes out with a double handful of some old saw and says "OK what's this?"
I have no idea but guessed an 08S and he said no, so I guessed and S-10 and he said I was right.
He plopped in on the counter and asked what I would pay for all of it. I got him to tell me what he wanted and then overpaid him. In all I paid less than he wanted for the XL925 he has on sale.
14_zpsnndvqj5o.jpg

So I get home and realize there is very little missing on the 075/51/51s (just a pair of mufflers), the 038AV is missing a muffler but isn't locked up, the 360 PRO is complete, the S10 is well..... interesting
17_zpsjysvesk2.jpg

16_zpsdhhhgaoh.jpg

18_zps69xvd50w.jpg

19_zpskj9xzlim.jpg

20_zps62uainvv.jpg

But then I pop the cover off the 044 after seeing a nice cylinder wall through the exhaust and ......
23_zpshsrdgarh.jpg

24_zps3ro0b7k5.jpg

SCORE!!!!!!

Oh yeah the 051s were packed in these
15_zpsnxonowzu.jpg

and this was in one of the boxes - free to a good home, shoot me a PM with an address

25_zpsopbtdibm.jpg

I wish I was into Homelite or Poulan or McCulloch stuff, he is chock full :)

All in all a good day
DDave

So I decided to go visit an old friend, who is pretty much a grumpy hermit in his own little small engine shop.
He knows everything about saws from the 50's to the 90's, but is about as friendly as a honey badger.
I was hoping he might have a bar for my 075 project that I have been procrastinating over for a year or so now.
I spent a little while staring at all the saw stuff around the shop while he helped a lady with a chain.
1_zpsg4dbajxu.jpg

2_zpsxskgzil3.jpg

3_zpslnjxocoj.jpg

4_zpsijjjgwfx.jpg

5_zpsnsg7ditg.jpg

6_zpszo2a32lo.jpg

7_zpssfb4dnw0.jpg

9_zpsfvde4vwe.jpg

11_zpsndsozpdk.jpg

I told him what I needed as he was writing up some other order and he says sure I have that and proceeds to bring me a large engraved Homelite bar from the back. I told him I needed a Stihl bar and so he came back with my holy grail a few minutes later.
Look Closely :)

13_zps1f8yphu2.jpg

YES MY STIHL ENGRAVED BAR!!!!

So I told him I had been looking a long time and would pay whatever he asked.. He said $20, I gave him $40.

I asked him if he might have any carbs or mufflers for an 075 eh would part with. He made a face like he wanted to punch me and then said sure and walked into the back.
He brought out an 075AV and then two more trips to bring out 051AVs in boxes (only one muffler but all three carbs and they all have nice cylinders and pistons:)
Then he brings out another box and tells me it is some 038 and 036 stuff.
Another box from the back room and he says "you've probably never heard of this saw its an 044" I laughed and told him I had a dozen in my garage. He looked at me like I had offended him and went back to the back room again. He comes out with a double handful of some old saw and says "OK what's this?"
I have no idea but guessed an 08S and he said no, so I guessed and S-10 and he said I was right.
He plopped in on the counter and asked what I would pay for all of it. I got him to tell me what he wanted and then overpaid him. In all I paid less than he wanted for the XL925 he has on sale.
14_zpsnndvqj5o.jpg

So I get home and realize there is very little missing on the 075/51/51s (just a pair of mufflers), the 038AV is missing a muffler but isn't locked up, the 360 PRO is complete, the S10 is well..... interesting
17_zpsjysvesk2.jpg

16_zpsdhhhgaoh.jpg

18_zps69xvd50w.jpg

19_zpskj9xzlim.jpg

20_zps62uainvv.jpg

But then I pop the cover off the 044 after seeing a nice cylinder wall through the exhaust and ......
23_zpshsrdgarh.jpg

24_zps3ro0b7k5.jpg

SCORE!!!!!!

Oh yeah the 051s were packed in these
15_zpsnxonowzu.jpg

and this was in one of the boxes - free to a good home, shoot me a PM with an address

25_zpsopbtdibm.jpg

I wish I was into Homelite or Poulan or McCulloch stuff, he is chock full :)

All in all a good day
DDave
Great score!!

Very nice. That's probably not a bad price on the big Homelite. That's a lot of saw for the money if it's in good condition.
I have an engraved Stihl bar like that that came on my 070 but it's worn out. (groove too shallow) It's about 30".

If you need a driver to ride out to this place next time just let me know. I'll even buy the gas. :cool:
Nice score. The 044 is a very nice score.

So where abouts is this hole in the wall joint located? What is the price on that 925?

Hey dave nice haul! Keep an eye out for a mcculloch pm 800 805 or 850 for me if you don't care.:D

if any of you guys are really on the prowl for something specific send me a list and/or pics, I will check on my next visit

Very nice. That's probably not a bad price on the big Homelite. That's a lot of saw for the money if it's in good condition.
I have an engraved Stihl bar like that that came on my 070 but it's worn out. (groove too shallow) It's about 30".

If the engraving is sharp or sharper than the one I found I might want tot "rent" your bar to use as a template to get an engraver to do a modern custom bar with the old School logo, that is what I am hoping to do with this one, they may have to recut the engraving first it is pretty shallow

Very nice haul, that 036 looks really good. Is it for sale? Congrats on finding your engraved bar.

I think it will donate the cylinder to a minty 034 I have and get a AM top end before it moves on to a new owner.

If you need a driver to ride out to this place next time just let me know. I'll even buy the gas. :cool:
Nice score. The 044 is a very nice score.

Always happy to have company on a saw excursion, let me know if you are ever around Columbus.
Grumpy old guy is not an early riser or punctual in any fashion, I usually shoot for getting to his place around 10:30 and he is usually there by then :)

So where abouts is this hole in the wall joint located? What is the price on that 925?

I am in Columbus, he has 389.00 on the 925 and it runs like a top, with a 25" b/c.

Awesome score!
Tell us about this 075 project. I may pick one up for milling and I might need a few parts....

Thanks, it is a labor of relentless nonsense I have a learned a ton about 075/076/050/051 from the guys here and gotten a lot of help and parts but still haven't built this beast, when I do there will be pictures and words ad nauseum :)

Nice haul!!!

Thanks, it has a been a good year for saws so far :)

What size was that Poulan hard tip bar?
Hey Dan I think he has 20" and 24" hanging there, hew has racks of 100s of used bars as well and most of the cool big mag saws he has up on the shelves have sweet older bars too, its like a dirty museum :)

Think about where you fill the gas and oil....

Then think about where the muffler/exhaust is located. Fair trade-off for most folks using an 1111 series saw for milling...., and lots of folks do.

So Dave, what color ya gonna paint the bar?

Cheers, buddy!

If the engraving is sharp or sharper than the one I found I might want tot "rent" your bar to use as a template to get an engraver to do a modern custom bar with the old School logo, that is what I am hoping to do with this one, they may have to recut the engraving first it is pretty shallow

Have you tried putting a piece of paper over it and lightly shading over it with a pencil?

You might get enough of an outline to be able to scan it and have a digital copy to do whatever you please with

Latest posts

Back