Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got some pics of my sawmill yesterday after I had finished a small custom cut job here at the house.

I also had to buy a new loader to unload tandom log trucks and move the heavy packs of cross ties around with so I sold my John Deere.

Nice!

Sweet set up you got there. My friend uses a Wood-Mizer. Just got a boatload of pine from him last week.:)

Your mill looks better shape than my buddies mill which has 7000 hours on it. His mill has cut tons of wood thou I'am pretty sure the mill has paid for itself couple times already. He is always cutting the maximum diameter and length wood you can cut on those mills something like 36" inches. You cut the wood down into a large cant then cut your dimensional lumber from that.

Your lucky a woodmizer doesn't pump out the saw dust like a mobile dimensional saw like my dad used to have. Those big circular blades had a good kerf to them they would throw out the saw dust. Then again when your cutting 60-72" wood a bit of sawdust doesn't matter dad used to have the sawdust heaped up all over the yard. The other debris is the slabs from the process of squaring off the log some of those chunks weigh 200 to 300 lbs made good firewood.

My buddy with the woodmizer gets a huge pile of slabs piled up all over his yard he has a old tractor with forks to pile the crap up.

The finished product he cuts is moved around by hand the wood is bigger than the tooth picks you guys cut. Some of the beams and planks he cuts weigh alot I know I deliver most of them.

You will have to set up a dry shed where you can sticker the wood and let it air dry. In this area if you cut any type of hard wood it needs to be stickered right away it only takes a week and you get mold and staining.

I learned to sticker wood in a mill that cut nothing but maple and Alder each kiln full was quite a few dollars worth of wood. If the wood wasn't stickered right you ruin a lift of wood you cost the mill money.

It will take you some time to learn how to look at a log and see what you can get out of it.

If it will ever dry out enough for me to take my bull dozer and grade out a different spot for my mill then I intend to build a barn around it that is open on three sides and will completly cover the future support equipment. I plan on adding a live in-feed deck as well as an edger and dead rollers. I hope to be able to upgrade to a new LT70 with the 62hp CAT.

My current mill is a '98 LT40SUPER (yes it is fully hydrolic) with the simple set works and the 40hp turbo disiel. My only regret about buying it is not having bought the LT70!!!

I buy most of my tie logs but the other is mostly stuff I log myself. They just delivered my kubota two weeks ago and I love it! The Quicke loader has almost 5,000lbs lift at a full hight of 138''s!!!

Oh, I don't have a problem getting rid of slabs as I have tons of people that buy them for firewood even during this time of year. People also come buy for the sawdust for their gardens:D

Nice tractor Ryan, is that the L5030 or is it an even bigger one? I like the looks of that loader. I might have to get me one of those for sure. Did that require an extra bank for the hydraulics?

The best option is make the barn or cover large enough that you can have lots of room around the mill and enough room to get a bobcat to scoop away the saw dust. You will also want enough room you can put some dunnage down so you can stack the wood and move it with a tractor with forks.

As I said before you should have a decent size open building to store the cut wood in.

I hope this works out for you its a tough business the local guys here with the Woodmizers have tough time buying wood the biggest market here is cedar. Some of the loads of cedar I have hauled are pretty valuable some loads worth more than my truck :D

Well hi Ryan ,

Looks like you wenr and got yourself some new toys to play with my friend . Never really got into the whole mill thing myself but it looks fun . So how do you like the new Bota ? When you gonna get yourself a newer skidder ? Im buying a 1991 Case 1187C tracked buncher with 22" Hot saw next week already sent down payment so now I just need to find transport from Pointe Claire , Canada to Southern NH... Well keep up the good work

Rob

Newfie, the tractor is a M8200 with hydrolic shuttle. Its 82 net Hp on the motor and 73 on the shaft. The loader is a Quicky Q750 and has almost 5,000lbs of lift at full height of 138''s and yes it required a third function to run the log grab.

hey nice mill

Nice Mill` Ryan buddy. We got an LT 30. I will have to come over to your hosue some time and we will have to saw some lumber. tamrack is a prtty green colour. Can I spend the night I got a huge sleeping bag?
WEll ole Buddy you have a good one.

I just got some high grade poplar sawlogs to mill this week. I have to finish doing some dozer work for a guy and then its back to milling for a while. I'll try and get some pics this week.

Back