Saws Sharp and Gen Set Ready

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the State of Kentucky I have to consider the following:

http://isaacslaw.org/index.htm

I have to consider protecting 1) my family 2) my livelihood

I am a licensed Master Electrician. Any idea the hell-storm of legalese that would rain down on me and the fallout for my family if something bad happened?

The KY State Housing Building and Construction has been using Isaac's Law as a big f-ing hammer over the past years and for good reason.

Can't imagine that the skilled trades in NY allow much to slip by.
We also need permits for work to be performed, then the routine inspection to wrap it all up.
No problems conforming to state/ local ordinances at all. Those requirements actually strengthen my licenses in my area !

............and you are 100% correct about the "slip-by" except that the trades dont really have anything to do with it, its the municipalities and city's that enforce those requirements.

I hope you weathered the storm well, we got real lucky where I live, too much cold air dropped down from Canada and pushed the moisture South of me
........... sorry to those that got what we were supposed to get !!

Thanks for asking. We escaped the ice. Sleet half the night and about 4" of powder. Big relief. Dad was in USAF and I grew up in Colorado Springs, Minot North Dakota and Loring(Limestone) Maine. I can handle snow and cold. Ice scares the $#!^ out of me. There's not a darn thing you can do about it. I can handle no power but if there was a family emergency requiring Medical care you may have no choice. I'm possibly the only person in L-ville with Z-chains.

Here we go again. Getting ready for 2-4" of snow followed by sleet and freezing rain. If there's a plus its that the temp is on an up swing. Gen-set gassed, saws sharp and guns loaded. Bring it on.

Down here in TN, we still have ice in the shade. I hope we don't get anymore. I have to work tomorrow and attend two funerals this weekend. I don't have time for an other storm!

Have plenty of canned food but no gen. Might need change that later this year.

Yeah, at least here in Ky. it is not going to be -20% F again tonight, but whatever moisture that hits here tonight and tomorrow, could be ugly, then sun and mon night, back to -5%F again..... Gotta love that "GLOBAL WARMING!!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist........

Surprised that Whitespider hasn't commented yet how he uses a generator without a transfer switch like he has on other threads.

Some people need to set their testicles between an anvil and a two pound hammer for putting lineman's lives on the line. Even if one knows what their doing all it takes is a unwitting family member or family friend to throw a breaker and kill someone.

Hey but Whitespider can do whatever he wants because everyone else is stooopid.

gg

Hey but Whitespider can do whatever he wants because everyone else is stooopid.

I don't have a transfer switch, and I use a generator when the power is off for over a day, like it just has here in TN. But I don't plug the genny into my breaker box. Anything I power gets hooked up directly to the generator, bypassing the breakers and the housewiring. I use power only to keep things from spoiling in the fridge, to run a tv, battery chargers, etc. Everything else runs on gas, propane, or batteries. I don't have a well, but if I did, I'd use the same procedure.

my diesel generator is filled the storage tank is 50 gallons and i got three 5 gallons of diesel also. i got enough food and drink for up to 3 weeks.
and my 200 gallon gasoline storage tank is filled. bring it on.

no worries i got a compact switchboard platform set up to cut off the main power coming into the house my generator
i got a mil surplus MEP003A 10kw onan 4cyl diesel air cooled.

And on the "left" side of the country? Shizz is trying to bud here due to the 50-60's we've been having- at 7100'! Saw a news article the other day showing a satellite of part of CA this month after all the rain vs. last year at the same time... Green right now. I can only shudder at the thought of all that green drying up the next couple of months.... I'll be busy over there again this summer, maybe earlier! Stay safe Californians, prep now! And for the "right" side? Stay warm and best wishes to you and yours!

Duane

My meter pan has a bypass, and my generator is tied into the sub panel (200 A) in the barn. When power from the utility drops out, its easy.

Go to meter pan, throw bypass and pull the meter.
Throw lever back to normal, shut main breaker, without the meter installed, there are no worries about the utility bringing power back on.
Start generator and remove lockout to energize 50 A 240 V disconnect.
Whole house and Barn energized .......... (now I run a 200' 8/3 SJOOW to my 93 year old neighbor and feed him as well)

When the utility restores power, turn off generator disconnect and generator and lock out the disconnect
Throw lever to bypass, install meter, throw lever to normal

I also shut down each breaker in the house panel each time I switch from one feed to another to minimize inrush current

Whole procedure is about 3 minutes, plus time to tie in my great neighbors house

I'm in eastern TN, and it's snowing outside right now. Ice is still covering everything as it's not been above freezing all week. There's a car still sitting in my driveway that is useless because all it will do is sit there and spin on the ice. And the second ice storm is on the way, we are being warned to prepare again for power outages as more trees come down. They are saying that ice accumulations west of us could be up to 1/2 inch. The roads are covered with sleet and snow again, and I hear the usual noises in the distance. Engines revving, tires spinning, and plow trucks making scrapping and grinding noises. It's saturday, why are so many people determined to go out and travel in this mess?

The linemen are going to have some extremely unpleasant days to come. Rain coming in the afternoon, rain all day tomorrow with flood warnings. Those guys deserve to be paid double time, working in cold rain overtime in hazardous situations, and having the threat of morons backfeeding power into the lines while they're working on them in the rain. Same goes for the guys out having to cut trees out of roadways and out of powerlines while it's pouring down rain and 40 degrees. I'm going out, but I'm walking! Gonna enjoy the last of the snow and ice before it gets washed away. Got my genny gassed up and ready, got plenty of dry firewood for the wood heater. Got canned food on the shelf and in the fridge. Bring it on!

I'm in eastern TN, and it's snowing outside right now. Ice is still covering everything as it's not been above freezing all week. There's a car still sitting in my driveway that is useless because all it will do is sit there and spin on the ice. And the second ice storm is on the way, we are being warned to prepare again for power outages as more trees come down. They are saying that ice accumulations west of us could be up to 1/2 inch. The roads are covered with sleet and snow again, and I hear the usual noises in the distance. Engines revving, tires spinning, and plow trucks making scrapping and grinding noises. It's saturday, why are so many people determined to go out and travel in this mess?

The linemen are going to have some extremely unpleasant days to come. Rain coming in the afternoon, rain all day tomorrow with flood warnings. Those guys deserve to be paid double time, working in cold rain overtime in hazardous situations, and having the threat of morons backfeeding power into the lines while they're working on them in the rain. Same goes for the guys out having to cut trees out of roadways and out of powerlines while it's pouring down rain and 40 degrees. I'm going out, but I'm walking! Gonna enjoy the last of the snow and ice before it gets washed away. Got my genny gassed up and ready, got plenty of dry firewood for the wood heater. Got canned food on the shelf and in the fridge. Bring it on!

Got some more ice this morning but now the temp is above freezing so rain is falling. I have gotten to work everyday since this mess started. Had more trouble getting the car started than with ice. I think a new battery is needed. I think we are through this for now. Still, it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

The people get out and travel in this mess because munchies mean more than their cars and lives. I have a friend who works in a grocery store and he said that the worse the weather got this week, the more people came into the store. He said the busiest day was last Monday when the freezing rain started. I think a big part of the problem is that people have little to no reserves of food, canned or otherwise.

If you have a disconnect switch on the outside of your house and use that, there is usually a place for a padlock on those. Lock it in the off position or lock the cover closed, drop the key in your pocket and maintain positive control over it. That way nobody flips a switch thinking they're helping someone out.

My saw has been ready for days. Ever since I saw the first forecast for ice I started getting excited...I hardly ever get to use my saw anymore and a good ice storm would be perfect. We got some ice and snow but not a single limb fell. Very disappointing.

My saw has been ready for days. Ever since I saw the first forecast for ice I started getting excited...I hardly ever get to use my saw anymore and a good ice storm would be perfect. We got some ice and snow but not a single limb fell. Very disappointing.

Well, we got lots of ice and there are fallen trees and limbs all over the place. I've spent four days out in sub freezing temps having fun bucking and limbing fallen trees. I'm guessing you are in the southeast somewhere. Just wait, I'll bet next winter is gonna be even worse than this one and you'll get in some good saw time. Ain't global warmin' great!

If you have a disconnect switch on the outside of your house and use that, there is usually a place for a padlock on those. Lock it in the off position or lock the cover closed, drop the key in your pocket and maintain positive control over it. That way nobody flips a switch thinking they're helping someone out.
Good idea, cant hurt to have multi - layered protection !

Gas 'um up and get 'um sharpened cause here we go again boys.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-12-at-1-34-52-PM-png.png

http://www.wlky.com/weather/Highest-severe-weather-chances-of-the-year-issued-for-Monday/34121254

Latest posts

Back