Saws,Truck & Firewood Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Longwood

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
The last time I posted pics of the ole Dodge loaded people seemed to like them so here are some pics of my latest firewood venture. This is the third load of four from a oak I've been cutting on in my spare time over the last two weeks. The truck weighed 11,200 lbs in this pic, I would rather haul wood with a trailer but there is barely room for the truck where I'm cutting.

The saws of choice for this job were my 254xp with 16" bar, 3/8" LP chain and my 385xp with 24" bar, 3/8" LP chain.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Longwood

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
boy the dot wood have fun with you tom trees:cry:

I passed by the DOT scales on the way home and they didn't come after me.
I thought about dodging them but since I'm tagged for 12,000 lb I decided to see what would happen. They either didn't see me or they had bigger fish to fry.

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
385xp

Nice job and saws/truck! That 385 will get er' done, that's for sure. Mine pulls it's GB titanium 24" bar with stihl RSK chain with authority through anything. What LP chain are you running? Is your 385 modded?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that DOT was for commercial vehicles only. It is a big ordeal where I live because you can drive a dully pulling a 44 ft trailer over loaded with any farm equipment you want with your normal liscence but have to have a CDL to drive a 10" box truck that delivers bread. The comercial drivers get real mad at us farmers for that reason. Some state cops do not realize that either, I have been chased down and ordered over the scales by troopers that do not understand the difference in CDL and private or farm vehicles

hydro2

hydro2

ArboristSite Operative
boy the dot wood have fun with you tom trees:cry:

He is prob. right. What a shame that is. A guy trying to haul some wood. I haul a skidloader and expect to pulled over, but a guy hauling wood for personal use. We put up with it though. I am not against safety when hauling, but come on? One of my favorite sayings is "You deserve what you are willing put up."

Last edited:
ericjeeper

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
vehicle GVW

I passed by the DOT scales on the way home and they didn't come after me.
I thought about dodging them but since I'm tagged for 12,000 lb I decided to see what would happen. They either didn't see me or they had bigger fish to fry.

The trucks GVW over rides the plate in Indiana. You can have 16k plates but if the vehicle is stamped 8800 gvw in the door. that is the limit.
But I am guilty as everyone else. I hauled a 11 foot truck camper to Yellowstone and back to Indiana back in 03 weighing 11k on a 8800 gvw 3/4 ton ford f250 superduty. So I won't cast stones.

Longwood

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Nice job and saws/truck! That 385 will get er' done, that's for sure. Mine pulls it's GB titanium 24" bar with stihl RSK chain with authority through anything. What LP chain are you running?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

It's Oregon 72LP for the 24" bar. Slings the chips like crazy. I remember when you got your 385xp, how do you like so far?

I've ran mine with a 36" bar (75 LP chain) and it does pretty good, you just can't lean on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
385xp

It's Oregon 72LP for the 24" bar. Slings the chips like crazy. I remember when you got your 385xp, how do you like so far?

I've ran mine with a 36" bar (75 LP chain) and it does pretty good, you just can't lean on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice pics! I love my 385, awesome saw stock.....modded it is a monster! The muffler mod I did really perked it up. My 385 will smoke my 660 and 066 in anything 20" and under, anything more the modded 066 will have it. I imagine it would pull a 36" bar pretty good. It's got lots of torque for it's size. The only thing I didn't like was the stock spikes, I got the west coast 4 point spikes on it now that I got off bailey's. The saw still sits level with the 4 pointer's as well, and they are a whole lot better than stock. But the stock spikes on the 385 are still better than the stock stihl spikes.LOL:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That is a load, Did you lift them yourself?
I backed the truck up to the bank, rolled them near the tailgate, got them up on the bed, and then I lifted them up there. Man those were heavy!!! Dented the bed taking them out!!!
One tree the wood seemed heavier than the other, if thats possible or was I getting tired!!!
I am sitting here rewarding myself with a couple of cold ones or twelve!!!
There is one load left but I don't need it or have time.:cry:

Brownpot Deaton

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
i dont know about where your from, but here, you can load anything up, but DOT still applies, but regular trucks arent watched that well..now farm trucks are kinda special, they can get loaded heavy a few times a year do to their "special condition" license, but nothing too outrages... like when we grossed 35,000lb hauling hay on a 2 trailer system with one truck....79ft 8inches because the max is 80 ft on the highway....luckyily my grandpa still had his CDL...truckers thought it was great seeing a regular truck longer than they were..lol

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
I backed the truck up to the bank, rolled them near the tailgate, got them up on the bed, and then I lifted them up there. Man those were heavy!!! Dented the bed taking them out!!!
One tree the wood seemed heavier than the other, if thats possible or was I getting tired!!!
I am sitting here rewarding myself with a couple of cold ones or twelve!!!
There is one load left but I don't need it or have time.:cry:

i have noticed different weight in the same size wood with different trees of the same species before. Its all about moisture content, and every other factor affecting that tree. The trees being close together doesnt seem to make a difference.

Latest posts