Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG OAK BOY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS ON THE ECHO 3400.
IT'S A GREAT SAW, I BEET THE _ELL OUT OF MINE, AND IT JUST KEEPS COMING BACK FOR MORE. I CUT A LOT OF PALMS. THAT LITTLE SAW'S AIR FILTER COMPARTMENT WILL BE FULL OF CHIPS DIRT AND ALL KINDS OF TRASH AND IT KEEPS ON RUNNING. I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK I DON'T TAKE CARE OF MY SAWS, THEY GET CLEANED AND SERVICED DAILY. ONE TIP ON THE WALMART BOUGHT SAWS KEEP YOUR RECIEPT AND WARRANTY PAPERS, THE DEALERS DON'T LIKE DOING WARRANTY WORK ON A SAW THEY DIDN'T SELL.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, THE ONLY CHOICE FOR BIG SAWS IS ** STIHL**. I'VE ONLY HAD GREAT PERFORMANCE OUT OF THEM, AND COMPLETE COOPREATION FROM THE DEALER. I BUY MY FIRST 088 IN ABOUT ONE MONTH CAN'T WAIT!!

Big oak,

you'll get a heck of a lot more response on the "Chainsaw" board. And you'll learn an incredible amount from some true expert saw people.

A puny 088? Ha. The Husky 3120 is the clear winner there, the new 385 and 046 each have their advantages, 372 over the 044, 395 not quite as good as 066, 357 better than 036, 346 over 026, and 335 better in some ways, 020T others. Waiting for new 336, which should solve the lst of the 335 problems.

My new 335 is Walkerized, which added at least 30% more speed. Darn close to 026 in speed now! My 3120 is being massaged by Dennis Greffard as we speak, should come back with ~12 hp, oh yeah!!

Solo, Efco, and Dolmar each have one saw model that is the class of the field in it's respective size- at least based on specs, I've not run or seen any of them, yet.

I still have lots of Stihl's but will likely never buy another, as long as my 066 never wears out!! Sold my first to a bud, still going strong after 9 years of occasional use. Both have the Magnum muffler, so they are 7.7 hp. you cant get that in the US anymore, but have to modify the current one to get the hp back up.

We have some fairly massive live oaks and laurel oaks here in FL. When I ran a crew for Davey tree (commercial/residential, NOT utilities!), I did about 100-125 crane removals in a year's time. Stump cuts up to 12 feet across and more. We had a 3120 that impressed the heck outta me on BIG wood. I've run an 088 a few times, but I think Husky has the advantage on the biggest saws.

rbtree is right, we have different forums for different subjects. This belongs in the chainsaw forum. But it's ALL good!:angel:

Wow, 12 Feet!!

i was born in Virginia, and moved to Arkansas, left for the west at age 14. Besides the Far West, the biggest trees are all the the south, I believe!!!

Largest stump cut I've made was about 7.5 feet on the 9 foot sequoia, after cutting off the butt swell. Hard to handle the bar, as it can flex and throw the chain. And keep it cutting straight. I made one cut straight through as the crane was picking the 24 foot, 12 ton section!!

What bar lengths were you using, and how did you get through? Cut out a center section? Sounds challenging.
Since I started in tree work in 72 here, the trees have really grown. Most of The Puget Sound region was logged from 1860 to 1930, so there are just a few pockets of old growth here and there. Most in parks, some on Mercer Island, where, a couple years ago, we removed a 31 degree lean, 50 % decay 54" dbh douglas fir. It was the last remaining brother to the trees known as the "standing submerged forest", from a huge landslide that occurred some 150 years ago. I dont know much about the story, but reckon some divers do!! Others in The Highlands, the gated community where we removed the big maple. I'd reckon the property value in there approaches 1-2 billion bucks!!

Used a Husky 3120XP with a 48" bar. The stump was kinda oblong, 10' one direction, 12' the other. Partially hollow, too. Having the crane set up on the trunk to lift made it easy. I just cut all the way around except for about an inch or two then pulled the saw out and finished from the outside and the crane picked it up.

The main reason davey buys 3120 is cost. the amount of time they are used makes them more economical. I own one of almost everything husqvarna makes. 394 has almost as much power as 3120.

You might be right about the 394 power vs 3120. Mine is older, and was rated 9.3 hp, vs 7.1 for the 394. But my 066 Magnums are 7.7 (old dual ported muffler, more hp than current saws) dont seem to cut that much slower than the 3120. (with 36 inch bar vs 42", that is.) The 066 is the most advanced stock saw ever made, according to Ken Dunn, the guru of hot saw builders.

But that was then!!! I'm waiting to get mine back from Dennis, with about 3-4 extra horseys!! OH, yeah! Then I'm gonna hope for a job worthy of the 60 inch bar-I've only used it on three,, maybe four trees!

Back