SC 352 owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Talking to my vermeer dealer on the belt adjustment,, he says it hardly ever needs adjusting. Says they stay pretty tight as needed for the most part. I was going to order the guage that vermeer has to measure the tention and he talked me out of it. What are your opinions on this? Do you adjust your belt often? I have about 55 hours on my machine. Also do any of you use the Green teeth..... Do you prefer them over Vermeers teeth? thanks

Belt adjustment

I run a 252 and in 3 years I have had to tension the belt once and adjust it by hand alone. Its never slipped since and Iv only lost one bearing from a really bad job I was on. It's the original belt.

I and stumpy66 run 352's and I personaly haven't had to adjust the belts yet I don't think stumpy has either,my guess is they will need tensioning at around 200 hours..

I don't run green-teeth and won't be putting them on my machine,i've heard they put a lot of wear on the shafts/cutter wheel spinndle and bearings

up to 80ish hours now and no obvious problems, one of the reason for choosing the 352 was the direct drive i don't like belts.......there does not seem to be a lot of stress on the belts so....nope no adjustments required so far.....it would be useful to know how you know when to adjust them...sqwealing on clutch engagement? (the belt not the operator)....

Can anyone explain what are green teeth. I have been in the business for 4 years and this is the first time iv heard about this option. Iv used Finger teeth on my 252 but the idea of them flying out scared me to death so I stuck with the expensive pro teeth. However I have an really good guy sharpening them for me know and I get about ten uses out of one set which I am pleased with as when I did it my self I used to get about 4 uses. Dont know what I was doing different.

I use vermeer pro teeth on my machine and sharpen my own teeth with a green wheel..Best to do a google search for info on green teeth,they have a web site....

Green teeth have'nt been very popular with members of this forum.

Rollacoaster....what green wheel do you use to sharpen your teeth? Is it an attachment of some sort for a grinder?

I use 10'' green wheels on a bench grinder,I guess I can satisfactorily sharpen 50+ teeth per hour

One thing you must grind the teeth outdoors unless you have a dust extraction system in your workshop,and you should wear a respirator the dust is supposed to be very dagerous to health...

I too have considered ordering a belt tension gauge. Mine are sqealing and Ive even tightened them once. According to the handbook, they are to be tightened to allow a 3/8" movement w/ 7 lbs of force. I just cant gauge 7 lbs by feel.

Im thinking too mine simply just need replaced. they are about stretched to the max.

anyone know how to tell if your clutch is about shot?

Do you measure the distance you grind or just till sharp. Does it make a difference if some teeth have more tip than others?

dogdad said:
Do you measure the distance you grind or just till sharp. Does it make a difference if some teeth have more tip than others?

JUST GRIND nope makes no difference if ones a little shorter than the other

i think what rolla is trying to say is that, when you sharpen the teeth, just grind until there is a good cutting edge, there is no real way to gauge the depth/length of the tooth after sharpening but this will make itself apparent after cutting, cos some will be dull and some still sharp.....ie the longer ones dull as they are making the most cut.....in an ideal world it would be new teeth all round everytime...but economically not viable... as an aside, has anyone tried to retip there own teeth, there are some teeth from germany on ebay for retipping most teeth... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stump-Grinder...ryZ11757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked into re-tipping. This would be the best all round. Clean and a brand new set of teeth every time. The tips were coming in at around £1.20 ea per 100 + VAT. I could no find any one to tip them for me so I looked at getting all the gear. Around £200.00 new but with ebay etc.... you could prob half that. The one thing I heard a lot when I was doing this research is that brazing is not easy to master and at £1.20 per tooth + vat you cant keep chucking them away. The one thing I keep meaning to do is check the local collages to see if they run any courses on brazing. If you do any more work on this please let me know I really would like to re-tip rather then sharpen.

Rollacosta,,,, I knew who you were refering to ..but I still can't figure out :dizzy: what"Grey Matter "is that you are refering to.. Again excuse my ignorance.

dogdad said:
Rollacosta,,,, I knew who you were refering to ..but I still can't figure out :dizzy: what"Grey Matter "is that you are refering to.. Again excuse my ignorance.

''GREY MATTER'' British slang for 'brain' used when talking about using common sense..get me ?? :)

EXAMPLE
Ahh you don't need a belt tensioner use your 'grey matter' [common sense/brain]

BRAINS ARE GREY IN COLOR AREN'T THEY..I guess thats where the saying comes from..:cheers:

Back