SC252 Boom wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PascoPropMaint

Reaction score
Hello all, I have an Vermeer SC252 that is starting to show a little play in the boom arm (side to side play, not in the sweep). Looking up underneath the unit, I can see the pin holding it all together. My question is, are there replacable bushings/pin or is this unit simply wearing out? I like to take good care of my equipment, so I'd like to get this fixed before it causes more damage. Thanks!

I dont know if there are bushings in the parts but on a carlton you can tighten the pivot bolt up to get rid of excess side play. The pin itself may be wearing out. Does the vermeer have grease fittings on the pin bosses?

Scott

Mine is exactly the same :( and I'm sure there is a bush and or pin that can be changed. There was some mention of it in a thread on here somewhere but I cant find it, sorry. From what I remember it saying it sounded like a pig of a job:cry:

If I find any more info about it ill post here, think ill speak to a vermeer dealer tomorrow and see what they think about it.(First thing they will probably say is it gonna cost about £300 :/ )

My 252 has over 2400 hours, was getting sloppy, thought I had to replace the lower pivot pin and bushings (the horizontal one), but shazam, just tightened the nut up like the manual says to do, and it's almost as tight as new! I grease it every day so probably wasn't worn, just loose. Book says to tighten as much as possible while still allowing free movement up and down. I checked it by hand, manually lifting up the boom and engine between tightenings until snug but still free movement (it's a bit heavy but doable, lift with legs, not back!). To be able to move the boom manually move boom all the way up, shut engine off, lower to ground. This will allow you to pull it up. If you don't the residual pressure in the lift cylinder won't let you lift it up manually.

The swing pivot bolt (the vertical one) is to be tightened up to 210 ft/lbs, that's the only adjustment there.

This is the first time I ever adjusted these, guess I should have read that section of manual sooner.

Anyway it worked great for me. Keep those pivots greased!

Stumper63

Back