Scam or Good deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
http://toronto.craigslist.org/tls/263757276.html

Selling this saw due to loss of business. It is good and has been used very little. Bar in almost new. I will run this add for 2 weeks here then change cities until sold. It is a great deal and I will hate giving the saw up. I also have a Stihl 088 that is in better then good shape. Take both for $750 plus shipping.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

What do you all think????
Bob

Possible?

Not saying that this is the one but see
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=571437#post571437

Odd that the saw is in the US but listed in Toronto......and the guy is only listing it two weeks then moving on to another city.....but then again the two saws listed may not exist at all....I have won bids on countless 4-wheelers and declined to send funds western union to the UK for a 4-wheeler in Michigan

I'm gonna send a reply to the seller asking for the ser# and see what happens

Here goes

sent.....now let's see what shakes loose

I did get a response

The guy says he will e-mail me the ser number with the first three or four digits blocked out.....said something about alot of scams going around and he is checking with his Stihl dealer to see why a buyer would need the ser#. I told him I needed the number to make sure it has all the updates and that I had looked at several 660s that were actually 066s........we shall see

Here is the second reply from the selller

"I work from 3 am until 3 pm but I will get it out tomorrow and look at the numbers for you after I call the dealer just to make sure this is a standard practice. If I had high speed internet and a camera I would get you photos. Where would I bee shipping it too? I will get you a quote for that too. I have paypal and I have a feedback rating of 45 all good on it.

He did not send his paypal listing

I give the benefit of the doubt

The guy could be legit but it looks pretty unlikely....paypal rating with 45 transactions means what to whom I dunno.....I've seen better looking cred on guys serving hard time

There have been a lot of scams lately, and Canada seems to be real popular place for 'em. :angry:
Jon
The Canadian justice and immigration system just seems to welcome these people. They just busted another credit card (bulgariun) fraud group, they had postal master keys (to get thier mail) and card blanks etc etc etc, but they haven't been charged yet.
I doub't thye are even in custody!!! Oh well it's off to work for me.
Bob

I just emailed him saying that I would take them. I also requested some pics and his paypal account.

We'll see what happens.

Looks like a scam.

I just emailed him saying that I would take them. I also requested some pics and his paypal account.

We'll see what happens.

Looks like a scam.

pay through paypal with a credit card and if there is a problem your credit card company will take your side even if you fabricate a problem. paypal will not go against the card company.

Let us know what happens.

Also, has anyone heard anything from the lady who was searching for a chainsaw for her hubby's b-day. Last I heard she had bought a used 361 but haven't seen anything since.

Let us know what happens.

Also, has anyone heard anything from the lady who was searching for a chainsaw for her hubby's b-day. Last I heard she had bought a used 361 but haven't seen anything since.

I came across that thread again last night and was wondering how she fared in that deal.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had a race car up for sale on a race related classified site and was contacted via email by a woman from Canada claiming to be an agent for an interested buyer. Without even seeing any pics of the car she offered to send a check for $10k from which my friend was to take his $6500 from and then call this "shipping" firm and pay them the remainder to ship the car to the "buyer" in Canada. I suggested that he do a google search on this agents email. Sure enough there were others that had run-ins with this scam artist. About a week ago he received the check for $10k even after confronting the "agent". I'm just glad he mentioned it to me before accepting any deal.

Dave

Hey Dave.....I hear the real Tower Bridge in London is for sale....and Scotty McCulloch is out of the running:hmm3grin2orange:

That is the real story on why the London Bridge is in Arizona...saving face is expensive

A friend of mine had a race car up for sale on a race related classified site and was contacted via email by a woman from Canada claiming to be an agent for an interested buyer. Without even seeing any pics of the car she offered to send a check for $10k from which my friend was to take his $6500 from and then call this "shipping" firm and pay them the remainder to ship the car to the "buyer" in Canada. I suggested that he do a google search on this agents email. Sure enough there were others that had run-ins with this scam artist. About a week ago he received the check for $10k even after confronting the "agent". I'm just glad he mentioned it to me before accepting any deal.

Dave

I had the same type of offer on a chainsaw once! Big time scam,
Jon

Back