schooling and jobs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian660

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi all i`m new here, obviously :rolleyes: and i`ve got a few questions about getting into the industry...

are there any schools I can go to that`ll help my chances getting a foot in the door? i`ve been running a saw every day for the last 5 or so years but its just lot clearing so maybe only 10-15 tree`s a day, then its all loader and backhoe work, was hoping a school certification would help my chances getting hired on with a logging company, I realize the pay will be low till I prove my worth and get real experience.

speaking of jobs opportunities is there much work in the northwest anymore? i`ll be moving back to the seattle-everett area in about two months if anybody is looking for help and yes I know traveling is involved i`m single hence that wouldn`t be a problem.

Hey Brian ,

I would suggest you take some logger certification courses should be available through a logger association in your state , or you can take the Game of Logging courses available just about anywhere..If you decide to get into logging out west you will probably be hired as a choker setter in the woods to start or a knot bumper ..Not really sure though as Im in New England area but those are some ideas to get you in the right direction..You have to love logging and once it's in your blood you wont want to do anything else trust me..

Rob

Hey Brian, If your going ouy west, Columbia Helicopter is worth checking into, there out of Portland Oregon, and work all over the west coast. They have their own cutters and their own training program, i know people that work for them they do pretty well. just a little info.

brian660 said:
speaking of jobs opportunities is there much work in the northwest anymore? i`ll be moving back to the seattle-everett area in about two months if anybody is looking for help and yes I know traveling is involved i`m single hence that wouldn`t be a problem.

hey, i dont know much about the whole schoolin bit, but as far as jobs up here in the northwest (well oregon anyway), they are real competitive even to set chokers, and getting any kind of job falling is pretty much out of the question. There are a ton of loggers and fallers with plenty of expereince but no work for them to do. That guy mentioned Columbia, which would be your best bet. I got a friend who hook tends for them and likes it.

The way I've seen loggers find work is to hang out in a bar where other loggers hang out. Say you need work. Of course these guys already have experience, so I don't know what they would say to someone without experience?

You can also find construction work that way. (bar) Actually I think the bar finds more jobs for people than the state employment department!

I do know two loggers who are out of work right now. That is because they are moving to a new site (gyppo). So you may work for awhile, then have a week or two off.

Here is a link to the "Associated Oregon Loggers" web site. They wear hats that say AOL, but they don't mean computers!
http://oregonloggers.org

Billy_Bob said:
Here is a link to the "Associated Oregon Loggers" web site. They wear hats that say AOL, but they don't mean computers!
http://oregonloggers.org

hey billy bob, you from Sweet Home? I got some friends from there, in fact, my next door neighbor is from there. I seen that post you had of some pictures from Sweet Home so Im just assuming. do you log or do tree work?

Sizzle-Chest said:
hey billy bob, you from Sweet Home? I got some friends from there, in fact, my next door neighbor is from there. I seen that post you had of some pictures from Sweet Home so Im just assuming. do you log or do tree work?

Yep. I'm not a logger, but since Sweet Home is a logging town, you can't help but to know several loggers. It seems everybody's dad, grandfather, or some relative is a logger (or works in a logging related business/industry).

BTW - None of the people I know, has or knows how to use a computer, so I would not expect to see many of them posting here. Although I can ask them questions and give their answers.

Since we have so many trees around here, there is always something to do tree related.

I avoid doing any work with "standing" trees if possible. I feel this is good for my health! (And should be done by the pros.) But once they are down, I'm willing to pitch-in.

My neighbor is starting a firewood business and I might get involved with that. But if I have things my way, we will have a gas powered log-splitter, not a "back splitter" as he is doing things now...

yea, leaving logging to the pros is a good idea. i've heard enough horror stories from loggers to know it aint for me. I used to lived in Oakridge for a couple years and got to know a few old timers. I sold my truck to a fella up your way about six months ago. You guys got a pretty nice town. Good luck with your fire wood cutting!

Back