Scorched 088 Mag.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Procut

Procut

ArboristSite Operative
Well I had thrown her on the shelf about a year ago in hopes it was going to be a minor fix but never got around to checking her (Lucy) out. Just happened to move on to the next lady in line .Yep , I name my saws , lol. Today is the first weekend I have had off in months so I decided to dabble with Lucy to see what was going on with her. Before shelving her she had spark , fuel but refused to start. Upon opening her up , she revealed to me just how neglected she has been treated. Straight gassed??? Foreign matter??? I do not know! I do remember though that day she gave up on a groundie who shrugged his shoulders in the (I dont know what the hell happened) kinda way. Just over a year later she speaks to me from beyond......OK , enough of the drama :msp_biggrin:. My Q is , can her cylinder be saved , reused? As the picture shows , she is missing some chrome on the inside. If not , do I go OEM or aftermarket for a fix? What brand? I may (not sure) want to part with her to partially fund another project. Any help is greatly appreciated.View attachment 306567View attachment 306568View attachment 306569View attachment 306570View attachment 306571

adam32

adam32

ArboristSite Operative
Pretty rough, that wrist pin bearing looks real bad! I'd be worried about the crank bearings after seeing the rust on that!!

You could always send the cylinder out to get bored over and chromed then run a 62mm piston...:rock:

blsnelling
Pretty rough, that wrist pin bearing looks real bad! I'd be worried about the crank bearings after seeing the rust on that!!

You could always send the cylinder out to get bored over and chromed then run a 62mm piston...:rock:

Good eye there Adam. I'd be checking out the rod real well before proceedings. As you suggested, I wonder what the crank bearings look like. It'd be a shame to put a new $350 topend on that saw and trash it right away with a bad bottom end!

Procut

Procut

ArboristSite Operative

Yes , I knew someone would notice that , thats the reason why I had it pulled out like that. Good eye!:msp_w00t:. The crank bearings feel real smooth without any roughness or play at all. The seals seem to be in as good of shape.

Procut

Procut

ArboristSite Operative
Are those several large areas of NiSi missing above the exhaust port? If so, you need a new cylinder. You're looking at about $350 for a new topend.

Yes , those are large areas of NiSi missing. Is the $350 quote for OEM or aftermarket? Not sure I want to fix it now :msp_sad:.

watsonr

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is there even a AM topend available for these? Let me put it to you this way. Do you want to risk a $1800 saw over a few dollars savings? In no way would I consider it unless there is a kit that has already been shown to be of top notch quality and performance.

OEM.... AND THAT $350 is cheap. I just did one and my dealer charged me $450 for the kit.

There isn't a kit, just a Golf piston or OEM stuff that I know of.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
No aftermarket top ends that are out there. There's not really enough demand for something like that. You could have the cylinder relined for less than the $350 but you'll still have to get a piston.

Procut

Procut

ArboristSite Operative
Is there even a AM topend available for these? Let me put it to you this way. Do you want to risk a $1800 saw over a few dollars savings? In no way would I consider it unless there is a kit that has already been shown to be of top notch quality and performance.

Thats why I was asking , Saving $$ is not an issue. I was just looking for clarification. Thanks for that.