Scored some free cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkwelp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend of mine came by monday with a load of free wood. Approx. 600-700 bd. ft. of cherry. He told me the tree was standing dead for 6 yrs, and then was blown over in a storm andlaid on the ground for 9 months. Right now I am measuring 25% moisture on my meter. Anyone have any idea how long it will be before I can use it?

I can't answer your question but if you need any oak to go with it let me know.

Scott

Actually the same friend is going to be bringing me about 1500 bd. ft. of oak also. The cherry and the oak came from his church's property. He belongs to the Mo-Il tractor club and they frequently mill wood at club gatherings and exhibitions. He's giving me all the wood because he knows I am a woodworker and will put it to good use.

The little bit of cherry that I've had seemed to dry pretty quickly and without warping. Get some inside your shop and check it in a month.

Keep track of it with your moisture meter over the summer. How thick are the slabs, about 1 1/2" maybe? I'd be surprised if it gets down to 12% before next year. You'll probably have to bring it inside for a couple months or put it in a kiln to get it down to under 10%. That's where you'll want it to be if your plan is to use it for furniture making.

I've found cherry kind of finicky to dry: cut too thin it warps like a potato chip, cut too thick it'll crack. At 1 1/2" I think you are more likely to see warping rather than cracking though. I suggest you allow it to dry slower rather than faster to help minimize these problems - maybe partially cover it, but still allow air in?

Also keep your pile well weighted. If you have not already sealed the ends, cut a couple inches off each end of each piece then seal. Otherwise it'll crack and split for sure.

Dan

Keep track of it with your moisture meter over the summer. How thick are the slabs, about 1 1/2" maybe? I'd be surprised if it gets down to 12% before next year. You'll probably have to bring it inside for a couple months or put it in a kiln to get it down to under 10%. That's where you'll want it to be if your plan is to use it for furniture making.

I've found cherry kind of finicky to dry: cut too thin it warps like a potato chip, cut too thick it'll crack. At 1 1/2" I think you are more likely to see warping rather than cracking though. I suggest you allow it to dry slower rather than faster to help minimize these problems - maybe partially cover it, but still allow air in?

Also keep your pile well weighted. If you have not already sealed the ends, cut a couple inches off each end of each piece then seal. Otherwise it'll crack and split for sure.

Dan

The slabs are 1 3/4 thick. All of it is already stacked inside my shop and a fan is blowing on it constantly. After 2 weeks now there is no checking that wasn't there when i got it

free cherry

STOP the fans, you'll dry it too fast and it will Warp,split and twist. put it outside and let it sit for a year.

Yeah, generally I would agree that fans are not the right way to go, unless you are trying to dry wood in the Pacific northwest in the winter rains! They cause the surface to dry too quickly relative to the inside of the wood, so you can actually cause splitting, warping, etc.

But you did say that you have your stack in the shop already. The problem with drying in an enclosed space is that the moisture can't escape readily enough from that space. Unless the room is huge the air will quickly get saturated with moisture. The fans won't help, they just blow the moist air around and you will probably find mold developing, especially on the sapwood. Worse, all your other tools will start to rust.

As Bryan suggested, stack it outside to dry. Weigh it down, and cover just the top with something other than a tarp to keep the rain out. A sheet of old ply, some corrugated plastic, etc. Let the wind and air circulate freely through the stack.

Once the moisture content is down to ten-ish percent, then you can consider taking it back inside to equalize it before you use it. 1 3/4" is not that different from 1 1/2", just means it'll need a little longer to dry.

It is good that you have not seen any cracking in the wood yet, perhaps the fact that the tree was dead for six years helps. I think that the moisture content already being down to 25% may be a sign that the wood came to you somewhat dry. If so, you may be golden as most splitting/warping etc happens at the start of the drying process.

I would at least seal the ends if you have not done so. It takes little time. A couple coats of old latex is good enough.

Keep your eye on the sapwood too, I find that is where cracking tends to start in cherry, more so on thicker pieces than thinner like yours though.

Yeah, generally I would agree that fans are not the right way to go, unless you are trying to dry wood in the Pacific northwest in the winter rains! They cause the surface to dry too quickly relative to the inside of the wood, so you can actually cause splitting, warping, etc.

But you did say that you have your stack in the shop already. The problem with drying in an enclosed space is that the moisture can't escape readily enough from that space. Unless the room is huge the air will quickly get saturated with moisture. The fans won't help, they just blow the moist air around and you will probably find mold developing, especially on the sapwood. Worse, all your other tools will start to rust.

As Bryan suggested, stack it outside to dry. Weigh it down, and cover just the top with something other than a tarp to keep the rain out. A sheet of old ply, some corrugated plastic, etc. Let the wind and air circulate freely through the stack.

Once the moisture content is down to ten-ish percent, then you can consider taking it back inside to equalize it before you use it. 1 3/4" is not that different from 1 1/2", just means it'll need a little longer to dry.

It is good that you have not seen any cracking in the wood yet, perhaps the fact that the tree was dead for six years helps. I think that the moisture content already being down to 25% may be a sign that the wood came to you somewhat dry. If so, you may be golden as most splitting/warping etc happens at the start of the drying process.

I would at least seal the ends if you have not done so. It takes little time. A couple coats of old latex is good enough.

Keep your eye on the sapwood too, I find that is where cracking tends to start in cherry, more so on thicker pieces than thinner like yours though.

My shop is my three car garage. The door gets opened and stays opened for a very good portion of each day, so moisture buildup is not a problem. I did take the fan off of it though. The only sapwood on the boards is already soft, grey, and unusable and will be trimmed off.

I dried about 300bft in my garage. I used the fan indirectly on the pile and a dehumidifier. I've done the same with walnut and oak as well with no issues. No, you can't shoot directly into the pile, but for the first day I did direct more air into the stack to get the initial moisture. Virtually no cracks and very little warpage. Came out very nice. But slow is the word, however you need to keep the mold off of it, so not too slow.

Coat the ends as well.

Mark

STOP the fans, you'll dry it too fast and it will Warp,split and twist. put it outside and let it sit for a year.

Beg to disagree... if it is indeed already down to 25%, once it is stickered, it will dry to 12-15 in less than 2 months. Agree, the fans are not necessary.

Beg to disagree... if it is indeed already down to 25%, once it is stickered, it will dry to 12-15 in less than 2 months. Agree, the fans are not necessary.

In a sealed garage, yes a fan is needed initially or you will get mold. I have not had a mold problem since my first batch, used a fan once I saw mold on that batch. Never saw it again. In an outside location with some air movement, no, I would not use a fan.

Mark

Latest posts

Back