Scored some very nice oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwasifar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My arborist friend down the block emailed me last week and told me he had some logs being dumped in his driveway, and did I want some? I said sure, how much do you want to part with? He said there's plenty to go around. So that evening we took my wife's little SUV up the block and found him standing amidst a driveway full of big branches already cut to firewood length, and he was bucking the trunk of the tree, which had to be at least 3' in diameter.

We took three SUV loads of the branch logs, and then later he emailed me again and said he couldn't get everything else split before he had to return his splitter, and did I want more? Sure I want more. So we took three more loads of big chunks that came from the main trunk. Beautiful straight pieces, most of them, splitting easy, just popping apart really. Tree seems to have been standing dead for a while; roundhead borers in the branch pieces, but no such thing in the trunk pieces. My guess is I came away with a full cord, or close to it, and if it ever stops raining long enough for these pieces not to be sopping wet, I think my moisture meter is going to tell me they don't need much seasoning time.

I'll post a pic of the stacks once I finish splitting and stacking (going slow due to rain and a persistent respiratory infection). But in the meantime there's this:

photo34321127068251655.jpg
I drew that line for my friend's kids. I was splitting it in my garage because of the rain, with music playing, so I put on really old music to go with my really old tree. Feels kind of funny if I let myself think about splitting up a tree that was already growing before Lincoln was president.

Every year my arborist friend keeps me in logs, and every year I buy him a bottle of tequila in the fall as a thank-you. He's earned a good one this fall. :)

I like the timeline! Good idea and I think I will do that next time I cut one of the old bur oaks at our place to show my boy.

I like the timeline! Good idea and I think I will do that next time I cut one of the old bur oaks at our place to show my boy.
Thanks! I smoothed it out a bit with a belt sander first, both to make it easier to count and easier to write on.

My wife wondered why the tree went on a growth spurt around 1945. My guess is that it was one of the few trees left standing when a lot of land was cleared around here for postwar suburban expansion.

That would be a good guess as to the growth. I have seen some rings grow on one side more than the other when that happens because of the wind bending the tree more.

I promised pics of the stack, and here they are:

oak_stacks_1.jpg

Everything in that stack is from this one oak tree, except that little area of ash at the far end, which was there already when I started stacking. If I'd known how much I'd eventually have, I'd have cleared that out, because now this is in my overflow area:

oak_stack2.jpg

That's almost enough to take the place of that little bit of ash. So my estimate was about right; I brought home about a cord of this beautiful oak. And look how it is:

oak_stack3.jpg

All this great wood for free. To buy wood like this around here you're looking at about $400-$500 plus stacking and delivery. Best score ever.

I promised pics of the stack, and here they are:

View attachment 529705

Everything in that stack is from this one oak tree, except that little area of ash at the far end, which was there already when I started stacking. If I'd known how much I'd eventually have, I'd have cleared that out, because now this is in my overflow area:

View attachment 529706

That's almost enough to take the place of that little bit of ash. So my estimate was about right; I brought home about a cord of this beautiful oak. And look how it is:

View attachment 529707

All this great wood for free. To buy wood like this around here you're looking at about $400-$500 plus stacking and delivery. Best score ever.
Get the most out of it and let it season properly. Great score

Red oak. It has that distinctive red oak scent. I was splitting it at the top of the driveway, and another neighbor wheeled by and identified it just by the smell, all the way from the sidewalk.

Primo stuff...love that smell!

Latest posts

Back